The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 27, 2011, 07:09 AM   #1
GeorgeStrickland

What do I have?

It is a Winchester 94 .30-30. Serial number puts it mfg. in 1966, scroll engraved reciever, flat steel buttplate, plain wood, round barrel, perhaps a saddle ring that is missing. The engraved reciever and steel butt throws me off. It is not marked as a comm. or special issue, but is not a plain jane either. Any of y'all have an idea? It also has a gold plated loading gate.

Thanks,
Geo.

Last edited by GeorgeStrickland; August 27, 2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add info
Old August 27, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
johnbt

The '67 Shooter's Bible lists the Model 94 Carbine ($85) and the Model 94 Antique Carbine ($94).

The Antique Carbine receiver "is case hardened colorful with classic scroll work", "brass plated saddle ring and spring cover", and last but not least "checkered metal butt plate."

How does that compare to yours?
Old August 27, 2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Pahoo

johnbt; Has it !!

Quote:
Model 94 Antique Carbine ($94).
Or at least I'm fairly sure he does. I have one of these and your description is spot on. Yes, someone has removed the saddle ring as it it unlikely that it fell off on it's own initiative. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 27, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:26 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

With those rifles, the term "engraved" is used only as a loose description; the "engraving" was done on a stamping machine.

Jim