The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2007, 09:23 PM   #1
lwakefie

TC Contender heavy trigger

The trigger pull on my TC Contender is heavy enough that it is hard to stay on target. It measures off the scale which goes up to 72 ounces on my RCBS trigger scale. Is there a simple home remedy? Or what else are my options? I am not sure of the age of this gun SN 458XXX. Oh yeah, it opens hard too.
Larry
Old January 2, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

Check out the manual, or one of the on line sites, the Contender trigger is fully adjustable for both pull & overtravel... ( mine all break very nicely, even the action on my 45-70 )

otherwise, we need more info, if you are the original owner, what caliber barrel has been on the action most of the time, how much was it shot, is the action dry ???

you might just need to lube it up, or it could be worn out, or anywhere in between...
Old January 2, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Sebring Pop

Push comes to shove TC has a lifetime warranty. Give them a call.

IN GOD WE TRUST............ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old January 2, 2008, 05:56 PM   #4
onlybrowning

There is an adjustment screw on the inside of the frame. The barrel has to be removed to access it, and it is a very small allen screw. I believe this is for creep, but in some cases, it may help you greatly. Also, download the manual on their website tcarms.com. All of the first generation Contenders are hard to open because the pivot pin is farther forward than on the later models. You will get used to it. Let us know what happens with the trigger. What caliber are you shooting?
Old January 2, 2008, 10:17 PM   #5
gbran

Check out http://www.bellmtcs.com/

I sent my Contender action to Mike Belm for a perfect trigger job. I asked for and got a 2lb pull and it is crisp and smoth.
Old January 3, 2008, 12:06 PM   #6
ocharry

you need to check the over travel screw in the trigger guard,,,,,if it is in to far the trigger will come in contact with it before it breaks and you will be pulling on the trigger guard,,, and this will make your trigger feel really heavy,,, but if you pull hard enough it will break

the screws on mine seem to move around so i put a little dab of blue loctite on them and then set them where i wanted them,,, problem went away,,, finger nail polish will work in a pinch

check it out

ocharry