The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2010, 11:02 PM   #1
nefprotector

NEF Pump shotgun reviews?

I bought an inexpensive (by todays standards) NEF 12 ga pump shotgun, 18.5 in barrel. From what I see on the web.... I have the feeling that I should have bought the Maverick instead. Any info on this shotgun? Accessories? I havent fired it yet. But will report as soon as possible.
Old January 27, 2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Bigjim3

Ive had both the maverick and the NEF. The maverick you can use 500 parts on. But the NEF (I think and im sure someone will point this out if im wronge) is made like the 870. I like the NEF better just felt better made to me.
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old January 27, 2010, 11:08 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know about the Mav 88 being better but it is a shiny blued gun and the mossberg accessories fit... some Rem type stuff may or may not fit your NEF.

Brent
Old January 28, 2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Cornhusker77

The NEF will accept about all 870 parts except the barrel.
Old January 28, 2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Grandpatime

I held the new pardner pumps at a dicksportingood store.I had to choices the 12 ga pump h&r or a stoeger p-350 . So i held the h&r shoulder it , it was like hold a piece of trimming real skinning and whatnot.had a real rough feel to it .Cant believe it cost more than a maverick 88 which is like the smoothest 12 ga.
But i held the p-350 and it was more like a regular shotgun when i held it and had a better quality recoil pad .It was 100$ more but worth it +weighs about 6 pounds and it was a 3.5" magnum and i didn't have one so i figured what the hell.I wasn't crazy about the steady grip first but after shooting it i realize it gives you more control of the gun .
Old January 28, 2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Cornhusker77

I have the NEF Pardner Pump Protector, and to be honest, I got it because of the price and I was just in the mood for something new.
The one and only thing I don't like about it is the weight, it's heavy, but then again, it's solid, sturdy and a fun shooter.
I shoot clay pigeons with it, and for an 18.5 inch barrel, it's got good reach and it shoots where it looks.
For the price, it's a heck of a deal, and while it's in no way fancy, it's a good gun and should give me many years of enjoyment.
Now, when I go hunting, I take the 870 or a Winchester model 12.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:04 AM   #7
nefprotector

WoW! Thanks for the replies. I will go out back and fire this thing later today.
Old January 28, 2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Go shoot it and don't worry. Most of the useful stuff that will fit an 870 will fit the NEF too (Sidesaddles, light mounts etc). I got one just to see how good they were, of course it'll be 20 or 30 years before I really know if it''s as good as an 870, but...

So far so good, it's even a touch heavier feeling than an 870, but its action has smoothed out nicely. All the controls are in familiar places, since I'm used to 870s. I like mine, I put a 4-round Sidesaddle on it but you can put a short LE type forearm on it from an 870 set and it'll work with a 6-round Sidesaddle. It has a carrying strap on QD awivels and a white light (TLR-3 LED on a Streamlight 69903 mag tube mount, there's room between the front of the forearm and the barrel ring for it).

Again- go shoot it- LOTS! Software is more important than hardware.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 28, 2010, 03:32 PM   #9
nefprotector

Thanks for the info Lee. I just got back from shooting it. I started off with bird shot; then moved on to 00 Buck 2 3/4", then to the 00 Buck 3" magnum. The Bird shot and 2 3/4" buckshot wasnt that bad. But the 00 Buck 3" mags put a whooping on me. lol! I found an old tree that had fallen over and the roots, dirt was up out of the ground. I proceeded to open fire on the right side of the roots and dirt. It just Obliviated the right side of that tree trunk and roots. Nice little shotgun for the money. I like it. Now I need some accessories to dress it up.
Old January 28, 2010, 06:59 PM   #10
jmortimer

My Pardner Protector is on the heavy side but what a nice gun for the $$$. A little extra weight helps with slugs.
Old January 30, 2010, 05:51 AM   #11
Mike U.

Quote:
My Pardner Protector is on the heavy side but what a nice gun for the $$$. A little extra weight helps with slugs.
My sentiments exactly.

Also, a Limbsaver recoil pad will tame that recoil rather handily. Works for me.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Grandpatime

i shot 1 oz slugs out of my 7.5 lb maverick @1700fps it felt like target loads.
Now i shot the same ones out of my p-350 talk about world of difference .
Old January 31, 2010, 02:41 AM   #13
Kmar40

Chinese vs. American made. It's an easy choice for me.

Besides a real Remington is only a little more than that China special NEF.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:16 AM   #14
jmortimer

Unfortunately the ignorant fail to realize the H&R Pardner is "made" by Remmington but why let facts get in the way. The 870 Express is not as reliable as the "Remmington Pardner" - if you want a "real Remmington" you should have purchased an used 870 Wingmaster. The new express is crude by comparison. Lack of quality control has made the Express subject to jamming. You will not find someone who owns a "Remmington Pardner" that does not like the gun - it is well made and reliable. That it costs at least 25% less is an added bonus.

Last edited by jmortimer; January 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:20 PM   #15
jlv08

Well made shotguns.
I looked long and hard at mine before I bought it and don't regret buying them one bit.

I have the 20 Compact in walnut and blue and it's a sweet little shooter.

I had the 12 Ga. but it was a bit heavy and I getting a bit lazy so I sold it to a friend and, skeptical at first due to the guns Chinese roots, has grown very fond of the gun.

NEF Pardner pumps are catching on and I think when folks use them, they like them and get over the China thing over time.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:37 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

remington don't make the pardner! It is made by a foreign firm contracted by NEF which is a sibling firm to remington which are both owned by a holdings company... possibly Ceribus or similar name...
Get facts straight please...
Brent
P.S. Mossberg is a privately held firm with some Mossberg offspring still in the company.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:38 PM   #17
10 Beers

My Pardner has a graphite stock but it weighs a ton. It didn't really say "carbon graphite" so maybe it's "lead graphite". Those Chinese really love their lead.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:36 PM   #18
jmortimer

Marlin bought H&R/NEF and then it was bought by Remmington/"Private Equity company. So your beloved Marlin decided to continue building a shotgun outside of the United States. Same thing Fiat/Dodge are doing with the made in Mexico Dodge trucks. Again, H&R Pardners owners are happy with their guns and H&R is an old time American Comapny. Great product at a great price.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:09 PM   #19
jlv08

Lord knows that this has been covered before.
Hawk Industries is the evil Chinese company importing these shotguns To NEF's specs and the allegedly are part of the PLA.

I had a Hawk 982 several years ago and wished I did not sell it. Afriend has it and he's still banging away.

I sold it to him 11 or 12 years ago.

I'll take a Hawk or a NEF over an Express any day.

No, cost is not the issue as I only buy field grade guns.

It's a tool and will be used as such.

Folks are going to have to get used to the fact that companies are about making a profit and getting as many items sold that they can.

Enter the Chinese and Pacific Rim makers.

I hate to say this but it is what the future is shaping up to be with firearms.
Old February 1, 2010, 07:18 PM   #20
MAX100

The Protector is a step above the Mav 88 on durability and ease of take down. All 870 parts will fit as well as barrels with the use of a spacer to take up the room between the mag cap and barrel ring.

The Protector is a no nonsense very durable & reliable utility defense shotgun. That's what I like about it because I don't worry about scratching it up.

GC
Old February 1, 2010, 10:38 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Same thing Fiat/Dodge are doing with the made in Mexico Dodge trucks.
Same with Ford re-branding Mazda in the small and mid size SUVs and Rangers.
Same with Chevy Re-branding Isuzus for small and midsize trucks and SUVs.
Mossberg re-brands an auto loader in the SA-20 and their rimfires. Difference is they have a noticeable label for these "Mossberg International" so no one feels they got suckered into an import with an american name...
Brent
Old February 3, 2010, 02:17 PM   #22
Strazznah

I have a Pardner Protector as well. My thoughts:
The +s
870 parts fit, although some may need modification.
It has great heft and feels good in your hands
The recoil pad is nice and works well (Remington should make these standard on all 870s)

The -s
Action is a bit rough;No where near as smooth as my 870s. You really have to forcefully rack the slide to get a shell in the chamber from the mag tube. Not sure if it is the shell lifter lifting the shell at the wrong angle or if the inside of the action is just that rough or..... I have fired at least 150 shells through it and it has not lightened.

The finish seems to wear off fairly quick. Receiver finish is wearing off on the sharp edges.

Overall: For a decent HD shotgun you can't beat it that is, unless you can find an older wingmaster with a 20" slug barrel for about the same price
Old February 7, 2010, 10:06 AM   #23
jlv08

The Pardner pump has it all over the Maverick 88 in construction. While the Maverick is a good price point shotgun, as is the Pardner, you get more with the Pardner.

The forearm is pinned thru the plastic on the Maverick and the Pardner is brazed and the forearm wood/
plastic is separate from the piece which makes up the forearm sub assembly.

The trigger guard is machined aluminum as opposed to a plastic trigger plate in the Maverick. Is this a big deal? No I have a Mossberg that has stood the test of time and shoots just fine with its' plastic trigger plate.

The finish on the Pardner is like a matte blueing/ Parkerizing and soaks up oil pretty good and doesn't rust. So far in my gun anyways.

If you break the forearm on the Maverick ,you'll have to buy a whole new assembly to fix it as it it s pinned throught the plastic forearm.

I'll buy anyone a case of their favorite beer if they EVER break the forearm on the Pardner pump with normal use.

The Maverick is a serviceable gun for the price, but it has way too much plastic in it for my tastes.

The Mossberg is a step up from the Maverick and enjoys the tang safety with better wood /plastic.

The Pardner is very similar to the field grade 870 shotgun and it is all wood ( real walnut!) and steel with machined aluminum for the triggerplate. The only plastic I've seen is the orange magazine follower and spring retainer in the mag tube.

That is why I bought the Pardner when I did as it offered all of the features that guns, IMHO, should have.

It's some of the nicest "cheap Chinese junk" Ive ever seen!