The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Rifleman1776

Can't believe prices

A member here recently sold a Ruger Old Army in stainless for $600.00. When the offering first went up I thought the seller was out of his mind for asking such a high price. I think it sold the same day.
A couple years ago I sold my ROA Bicentennial 1776-1976, factory reconditioned and blued model, with a Ruger full-flap holster and bullet mold for $400.00. Today I am crying and wish I had it back.
Same with other guns, rifles, shotguns, etc. But, most especially the handguns I see in shops. Prices are outa sight.
Where is it going to stop? Are we going to become a nation of only the well-to-do who are gun owners? That would be a dangerous model, IMHO.
Thanks for reading my vent. It is the prices alone that bother me. The future of American is at risk.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2
NESHOOTER

LOL... Well if it pains you so much I am willing to buy some of your firearms at pre BOB= barrak-o-bama prices of any you want to unload send me a pm.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:04 PM   #3
lefteye

Just got back from a gun show. Ammo and AR prices are extremely high. But I got a new Ruger stainless SR9c for $445 - a fair market price IMHO.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

They'll come down a bit once the hysteria cools, but get used to the new normal, they have gone up due to market demand and will remain up.

Look at it this way, we all buy gasoline at $4 a gallon because we need it, and we'll buy guns at $500 or more apiece for the same reason. I watched two brothers each purchase an AR15 clone for $2000 each last week, they wanted them and paid the price. Ain't credit wonderful?
Old February 16, 2013, 09:07 PM   #5
pat701

Just wait to see prices if (god forbid) we get a AWB
Old February 16, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
vytoland

you gots to suck it up n pay that buck
Old February 16, 2013, 09:56 PM   #7
bbqbob51

I have seen ridiculous prices on ammo and AR-15/AK-47 type rifles as well as shortages but haven't seen anything too crazy with other guns. Shotguns don't seem to have changed much at all.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
UtahHunting

Rifleman, that was me that sold the ROA stainless for $600. I wasn't sure what to ask and I priced it off of what they were going on gunbroker for. Some on there are over $700 if you can believe that. It did take me a week to sell it which I thought was pretty quick.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:03 PM   #9
coachteet

This is a free market economy. Demand has increased drastically in a short period of time, so currently, there is a relative scarcity of many firearms. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone selling their personal property for any price, at any time. People ask crazy prices, but that doesn't mean they actually sell at those prices. But the definition of "market value" is the price at which a product will sell on the open market. What you feel is a "fair" price has nothing to do with anything.

The good news is, this wont last forever. I personally think the market has already peaked. But there is going to be a glut of firearms hitting the market this year. Sell your excess stuff now, put the cash in your safe, then buy when the bottom drops out.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:26 AM   #10
DaleA

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with people selling the guns and accessories for whatever they can get for them. Nobody is making us buy these things and if push comes to shove we don't 'need' them like we need food, water, shelter etc.

$600 for a Ruger Old Army (ROA)? Well...

1. Ruger doesn’t make the Old Army cap-and-ball black powder revolver any more.
2. Nobody (IMhO) makes anything comparable to the (ROA).
3. The ROA is an absolute hoot to shoot.
4. I doubt the ROA was ‘shot out’. As long as it was cleaned after it was shot it was probably in very good to excellent condition.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:51 AM   #11
GeneS

I went to a gun show yesterday, just for curiosity and giggles. I have never been to a show so crowded. Max capacity was reached before I got there and they were only letting in about 10 at the time as another 10 exited. Prices were high, but there was a lot of buying going on. Handgun prices seemed about what they should be on average. Glocks were pretty high. I learned real fast it would be easy to pay too much if you did not shop around. The same AR-15 mags that were $50 at one table were $20 dollars at another. All of the FMJ .223 I saw was a dollar a round. Pistol primers did not exist. I bought one raffle ticket for charity.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Punisher_1

CTD, Colt M4, $3,895.00 Gotta be kidding me.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:22 AM   #13
coachteet

I bought a nickel plated Colt Trooper MKIII 4 years ago for $500. It was worth maybe $650 at the time. 4 years later, it is worth $1100. That actually doesn't have anything to do with panic. There simply is relative scarcity, because there are fewer of them to go around. Guns that are out of production just tend to go up in value. But it also is a sign of how the dollar has been devalued. You could also buy more ice cream for a dollar 4 years ago.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:33 AM   #14
DMZX

I habitually watch the local Nickel Ads for a variety of reasons, one being to see what is being sold and for what prices. A gauge of the regional market.

The last few months there has been a 2-3 fold increase in Sporting Goods ads. Hi-cap magazines and AR's dominate. Sellers are asking 2-4 times retail price on such items. DPMS or S&W AR's for $2000.00+. P-Mags - $90.00+ One poor reloader is trying to find someone who wants to trade their small pistol primers for his small magnum pistol primers.

That is all fine and good, but the market does not seem to be able to bear such prices as the same ads keep appearing week after week.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:06 PM   #15
FairWarning

If someone makes panic buys for mundane items in this environment, they can only look in the mirror and frown a year from now. "Assault" weapons and associated may be banned, but run of the mill rifles and hunting rounds which are also going for a mint right now will not. So don't blame someone else a year from now if you paid $1000 for a Ruger .22 or the like.