The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2014, 09:00 AM   #101
Uncle Malice

There are rumors that a match trigger will be available for the P30 series at some point.

I'm actually quite happy with the Light LEM on my P30. A little shorter reset would be nice, and there are several gunsmiths that can make that happen easily enough, but it's not a huge deal.
Old June 22, 2014, 09:56 AM   #102
Mystro

And then there is the new modular system of the Sig P320. Hickock45 couldn't miss with it and had to switch to his left hand and he still hit everything. The trigger may be good but its accuracy seems to be a real stand out with many shooters and thats the end game.
What a good year to be buying some new guns. I am first on the the list for both VP9 and P320 at my LGS. I don't have to buy them but I am the first to handle them and buy them only if I want to. A comparison video on the range is also a done deal so it should be fun. To be honest the P320 has increadible promise in being a modular platform for all calibers from 9mm to 45acp and from full size to compact all in one gun. I am going to be a RO at the Sig booth at a local Expo comming up so I will get to shoot the P320 regardless.

His rate of fire is much faster with this gun than about any I have seen before. He is tearing it up!
http://youtu.be/IyBfrf7iitA

Two points of intrest with both the P320 and VP9. Both seem to have a 6 o'clock hold (image 2 in pic). I love that and am glad pistols are moving away from covering up your target with the front sights. Its fine for close up big target work but makes less precision work of head shots out past 7 yards. I set my PPQ for a more 6oclock hold and I can comfortably shoot it from 2-75 yards easier by seeing the bullet impact instead of it landing under my front sight.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; June 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old June 22, 2014, 10:22 AM   #103
TunnelRat

Quote:
His rate of fire is much faster with this gun than about any I have seen before. He is tearing it up!
Hickok can do mag dumps with the P30 that looks like a machine gun and that gun has an admittedly long reset. He's one of those people you could give anything to and he'd do well with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSdDfN9UrHI

Best shooting I ever saw him do was with the CZ 75B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDhURHa0OQ
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 29, 2014, 01:42 PM   #104
happyguy

Quote:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...cy-issues.html

Quote:
My October-12 production M&P9FS had an accuracy issue right out of the box. Try 8" groups at 10 yards with three different brands of factory ammo and with several different handloads. And no, the problem was not me. I sent it back to Smith & Wesson and they agreed it had a bad barrel with questionable lock up. S&W replaced the barrel and now its accuracy is on a par with my Glocks. So yes, there is a bona fide accuracy issue with some M&P9FS pistols and it is related to barrels and lockup, and S&W has shipped them from the factory with this problem.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=723988

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...d-m-p-9mm.html

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...rns-sig-sauer/

http://mp-pistol.com/mp-full-size-pi...-accuracy.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....y-issues/page3

Quote:
What I am tired of, is folks who reject the accuracy problems I have actually experienced with a sample of over 10 M&P 9 pistols, without providing proof that they have a SINGLE M&P that will meet that accuracy standard.

See if you can find nearly as many posted threads about HK, Glock or Walther accuracy issues in 2 minutes.
S&W changed the rate of twist in the 9mm barrels about a year ago. Why they went with a 1:18 twist to begin with is beyond me.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3719

Last edited by happyguy; June 29, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old June 29, 2014, 06:07 PM   #105
TBT

The rate of twist is not the issue with the M&P line accuracy issues. We aren't talking 250 yards here. I think it has more to do with tolerances. But I'm not expert.
Old June 29, 2014, 06:23 PM   #106
ttarp

One things for sure, the M&P ain't the HK VP9, which used to be the subject of this thread... Thanks for the review plouff.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:16 PM   #107
Paul K

HK Kool-Aid is Delicious Kool-Aid

This pistol marks the first time since the P7 that has me genuinely interested in a 9mm. What is so significant about this gun is that it is an HK. This is the company that spends hundreds of thousands, but more likely millions of dollars, developing firearms, and they never release them because they don't meet their standards. Their R&D is the gold standard in weapons development. They are second-to-none.

Sure Kel-Tec has some interesting designs, but all of HK's designs WORK from day one, with no break in or bs. What a lot of people don't realize is that HK uses the very best materials and processes on their weapons.Their steel, for example, comes from France, and its metallurgy is a trade secret. They even harden the steel with lasers in some areas, and they do it all in house. As a matter of fact, I don't think they outsource anything except their licensed 22s.

HK is the last remaining company that I expect to never let me down. I have had issues with everything from Sig Sauer (no surprise there) to Nighthawk Custom (they dealt with it quickly). But HK? The say No Compromise, and they mean it.

What I find most fascinating about the VP9 is the name. It stands for Volkspistole, which literally means "Pistol for the People" or "Peoples Pistol", much like Volkswagen is the "Peoples Car". Can you believe it? HK made a pistol for the people. Its just like Ferrari and their Dino program. The best part is that they didn't compromise! You have all the same quality and accuracy as you would expect from any other HK.

They hit this one out of the park. A new legend is born.
Old June 30, 2014, 02:03 PM   #108
Bart Noir

Quote:
The best part is that they didn't compromise! You have all the same quality and accuracy as you would expect from any other HK.

They hit this one out of the park. A new legend is born.
Don't be bashful. Tell us how you feel!

I do look forward to getting my hands on this one. And would love to do a shooting comparison to the PPQ M2 that I just bought and haven't even fired. But how can I actually get to side-by-side fire the VP9 with the PPQ? I might have to own both. Hmmmm....

Bart Noir
Old June 30, 2014, 06:32 PM   #109
SHE3PDOG

I can't wait to get out of Cali and try one of these. Despite how against my code it is, my Glocks may go bye-bye to fund this if it is as sweet a shooter as I expect from HK.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 1, 2014, 12:20 AM   #110
barnbwt

Quote:
Can you believe it? HK made a pistol for the people.
Yes, how fortunate we are they deign to seek our civilian dollars as they manage to drown in the most buoyant gun market ever. Yes, they will make nicer pistols than Glock, et. al., but for too high a price, as ever. The reason no one else makes the gun nicer is because there is no demand for them to be. That's the dirty secret; sorry. The VP9 can be a honed jewel, but that isn't what "the people" actually want, so it will remain a small niche in the market. If a five-seven is too rich for people's blood (a gun with both high build quality and lots of R&D to pay off) I fail to see how anyone will justify the comparably-expensive 9mm based on 30 years of others' development. Well, I suppose it is still an H&K, after all, so that'll be worth something.

Porsche came out with a quality everyman's car, too, the Boxter, and yet it never quite got the acclaim as the high end models. Precisely because it was an everyman's car (so the buyer of the "poor man's Porsche" pays a premium, and doesn't get as much cred for his dollar )

I'm sure it will be a fine pistol, with fierce competition from Sphinx, in all likelihood. Hopefully both will find a way to do better in terms of parts availability this go around

TCB

*Side bar; I know this is true for their rifles, but are their pistols also solely developed through the patronage of government boondoggles, as well? Just hatin' is all
Old July 1, 2014, 12:25 AM   #111
TunnelRat

Quote:
The reason no one else makes the gun nicer is because there is no demand for them to be. That's the dirty secret; sorry. The VP9 can be a honed jewel, but that isn't what "the people" actually want, so it will remain a small niche in the market.
If no one wanted nicer the M&P, XDm, PPQ, FNS, etc. would not exist. We'd all use Glocks.

Quote:
If a five-seven is too rich for people's blood (a gun with both high build quality and lots of R&D to pay off) I fail to see how anyone will justify the comparably-expensive 9mm based on 30 years of others' development.
A five seven is over $1000 street price still. The MSRP on this is $720 and some stores are taking order for around $600-650. It's not remotely in the same ballpark as the Five Seven price wise nor does it fire a niche cartridge only made by the manufacturer.

Quote:
Just hatin' is all
No doubt.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 1, 2014, 07:11 AM   #112
happyguy

Quote:
The rate of twist is not the issue with the M&P line accuracy issues. We aren't talking 250 yards here. I think it has more to do with tolerances. But I'm not expert.
The rate of twist absolutely was the issue.

That's why they increased it to 1:10.
Old July 1, 2014, 07:52 AM   #113
TBT

Start a new thread if you would like to talk about how the rate of twist isn't the cause of the accuracy issues in the M&P line. For this thread, it's probably best we don't hijack it. Or PM me. I can provide some very informative links to people much smarter than I am.
Old July 1, 2014, 07:54 AM   #114
TBT

This VP9 has me very interested. The bore axis is a little higher than I like but if the trade-off is supreme quality and accuracy I might have to "compromise" on that score. Nice review plouf. As always.
Old July 2, 2014, 05:51 AM   #115
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Nice review plouf. As always.
Thanks.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:01 AM   #116
pjcolorado69

VP9 Pretty Sweet

Hi guys. This is my first posing in this website. I'm a huge Glock and HK guy. I've been shooting Glocks for almost 25 years and HK's for about 15 years on and off. I have many Glocks and a few of them with custom work. For this thread I will talk about my experience with HK. I got my first one in 1999 a new USP 40 full size, and loved it but sold it since I was in College and at the time and priorities changed. Anyway. I recently (within the past couple years) have acquired 4 HK's. I have a P2000 compact in 40 S&W, a full sized USP 40, and compacts in 40 and 45. I love the USP. I'm a big guy and have large hands so no issues there. i don't even have issues with concealed carry. So i was at the local gun show yesterday and got to check out the VP9. As soon as I picked it up and saw all the goodies it came with I had to have it. I was able to trade my Gen 3 Glock 22 with nite sights towards it. (I currently got a Gen 4 22 Dark Earth and its completely custom so I was looking to trade the Gen 3 anyway). With my trade after tax and back round check I had to lay out $300. Not bad considering I only paid $300 for my Glock 5 years ago and it sat in the safe. So $600 total out the door for the VP9. I also bought a 3rd 15 round magazine at the show ($45 with tax).

Impressions: I was so excited to get home and compare it to my other HK's, and get it to the range. Okay. So here are my likes and dislikes compared to my USP's. (not gonna compare it to my P2000 since I don't really use it at all)
Starting with the CONS first because the PROS outweigh them.

CONS
1) I did feel that the UPS's feel more solid and seem to look more durable (better quality build, maybe?)
2) The VP9 seems to have a slippery grip compared to the USP
3) The trigger on the VP9 seems a little bit gritty (although not anywhere near as bad as my stock S&W M&P triggers) compared to the USP's and Glocks.
4) They should have included the punch tool in the box to change out the back and side straps. Glock does.

PROS
1) After taking it to the range and putting 100 rounds through it, THIS THING IS SOOOOO SWEET!!!
2) The fit and feel of the grip is amazing
3) Amazing trigger. Smooth and light with amazing reset. HK kept the large trigger guard THANK YOU, THANK YOU HK. I have large hands and it's so much nicer to have the extra room, especially with full gloves on.
4) As usual the Ambi options, including mag release, and slide lock. I shoot right handed but can shoot left handed if needed.
5) Full picatinny rail. I can actully use my Streamlight without an adapter like on the USP's.
6) The sights are excellent and put me right on target with small groups compared to the USP's with minimum muzzle flip
7) I like that the striker pin is red so you can see that it's cocked and ready to go because the indicator on the right side is close to worthless.
8) The front nose is not square, it's tapered so it's easy to re-holster in my Mtac IWB Minotaur holster.
9) This VP9 fits in my current USP holsters. I have the Mtac Minotaur for concealment, and the Blackhawk Serpa level II retention paddle holster for OWB carry. (Just as a head up. I put the StreamlightTLR1 HL light on the gun and they fit perfectly into my Glock 21 Level 3 Safariland Duty holster)
10) I do like the chargeable sights. I shot at an outdoor range today and they are super bright in daylight, but not too crazy when the charge goes away in the dark, but not too big of a deal as they are still visible.
11) FINALLY the price. I got it for $600 which is only $50 more than a Gen 4 Glock. But since I bargained with them and got it for $600 out the door, I guess I got it for the same price as the Gen 4.

Parting thoughts.
I think this turned out to be an amazing purchase. It's not going away from my collection anytime soon. I am selling my P2000 to my nephew shortly so this will be the replacement. I felt the excellent trigger, the adjustable grips, and the smoothness of the muzzle flip makes this one of my favorite 9mm's I have ever had. Not to mention HK's quality and reputation.
BE AWARE THOUGH!!! If you have a chance to shoot one, you'll want one. If you like HK's then you know they're addicting like Crack.

Last edited by pjcolorado69; November 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: update wording
Old November 10, 2014, 01:47 AM   #117
IdahoG36

I purchased my VP9 about a month ago, and I absolutely love it. It is an all around excellent choice for a 9mm pistol. I shoot very accurately with it, and it has been 100% reliable for me.
Old November 21, 2014, 08:40 PM   #118
Coop204

VP9

Thanks for all the info. on the VP9. I just fell in love with the feel of it in my hand today, and it followed me home. I actually went looking for a Glock after shooting my buddies, but the HK was my choice after handling about ten different guns. This is my 1st HK and I am actually excited to get out and shoot it. Thanks for all the info. on this model.
Old November 21, 2014, 09:29 PM   #119
IdahoG36

barnbwt
Quote:
The VP9 can be a honed jewel, but that isn't what "the people" actually want, so it will remain a small niche in the market. If a five-seven is too rich for people's blood (a gun with both high build quality and lots of R&D to pay off) I fail to see how anyone will justify the comparably-expensive 9mm based on 30 years of others' development
Ummmm..... ok

The VP9 has a $599 price tag everywhere in my area other than Cabela's, which is the norm. Glocks regularly run between $519-$599, M&P is in that price range as well. I can tell you that whenever a batch of VP9s hits the shelves, they are usually gone in a matter of hours.

Stores in my area cannot keep the VP9 in stock, period. I was lucky to find mine when I did. It was on the shelf for 3 hours. The VP9 is an amazing value for the money. Now if Hk would only build a VP45, as well as Tactical versions of both, that would be awesome!
Old November 23, 2014, 09:10 PM   #120
tahunua001

nobody in my area carries HK and those that can special order usually want MSRP(about $750), but with that said, I have never seen a FN 57 for less than $1100 in my area and the ammo has never been cheaper than 45ACP even on super sales. the FN 57 is expensive and a niche gun because of not only prohibitively high prices on the guns and ammo, as well as some issues with reloading the ammo yourself. however the VP9 even at MSRP, is still within the playing realm of sig sauers and most decent 1911s so really, even though I am not a HK fanboy, I think that the fellow claiming it is prohibitively expensive is just trying to justify not buying one.
Old November 23, 2014, 09:20 PM   #121
Ranger576

Heckler & Koch VP9 Review

I just received in my first batch of VP-9 pistols. We compared the single action trigger pull on the P30 S to the VP 9. Our opinion is that the VP 9 had a nicer trigger pull. This is not just another Glock Striker Fired Pistol. First off it's H&K Quality, it truly is a single action. The PPQ would be the best comparison. H&K has a winner here in the hammer less market. Be Safe.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:00 AM   #122
WildBill45

Thanks for the good work and review... The VP9 looks like something I may consider up the road ... too many guns at the moment

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old November 24, 2014, 03:55 PM   #123
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
too many guns at the moment
No such thing!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne