The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Glock_19

Benelli Supernova Help

I just took out my Supernova for the first time today and it cycled well and shoot well except for 2 things. I definitely need to get a skeet choke because the stock one makes a TIGHT group.

Secondly, when I load the gun and try to cycle in the first shell it doesn't pop all the way up into the chamber and I have to turn the gun upside down to get the shell to fall into the chamber so I can pump it forward. The second shot after the pump cycles perfectly so I don't know why the first shell after each reload is having issues. The gun came with a ton of lube on all the parts and I tried to wipe away the excess but the chamber still looked super wet inside while I was shooting, could this be the issue? Any help to get this first shell cycling smoothly is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 22, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
kx592

Should really strip it down as far as the manual will take it. Whipe all parts with hoppes or remoil and leave them barly lubed just a little does it.

As for the cycling first shell, I have no clue sounds like a user error but don't have that exact model so don't know exactly whats going on.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Glock_19

Lets see if I can explain it a little better. If I have the chamber closed and I load two shells then press the slide release and rack the slide back it won't go forward again because the the shell isn't up in the proper position. A new shell has been ejected from the magazine, but there is enough room for the bolt to close over top of the shell without actually putting it into the barrel, it's below the bolt.

Last edited by Glock_19; May 22, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old May 22, 2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Glock_19

I really need some help with this. I disassembled the gun completely cleaned it out with Remoil and wiped out all of the excess. The gun is still malfunctioning. I don't know how it's possible but I was trying around with snap caps and the bolt literally closes over top of the shell thats popped out of the mag tube. It doesn't seem like there should be enough room to do that.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:14 PM   #5
sks

Glock_19: I have a SuperNova and tried what you explained. The only way it happened for me was if I "gently" cycled the slide back. When I did it forcefully there was not a problem. I did this with 2.5 in shells and above. If you have cycled it with force and still get this problem then I would return it where you purchased it and have them fix it or replace it. I've shot all sorts of ammo through mine and it has never had any problems.

How many chokes did your SN come with? Mine came with 4.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Glock_19

Quote:
Glock_19: I have a SuperNova and tried what you explained. The only way it happened for me was if I "gently" cycled the slide back. When I did it forcefully there was not a problem. I did this with 2.5 in shells and above. If you have cycled it with force and still get this problem then I would return it where you purchased it and have them fix it or replace it. I've shot all sorts of ammo through mine and it has never had any problems.

How many chokes did your SN come with? Mine came with 4.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Well after more experimentation with some snap caps I believe you are correct. If I just rack the living s**t out of it, it will cycle correctly. Secondly, mine only came with 3 chokes and was notably missing the skeet choke which is the one I really want. I'm not too interested in paying $40 to get one from Cabelas if it should have come with the gun. I was also told as a new gun it should include a trigger lock which I also didn't receive. I think I'm going to have to go back to Gander Mountain and see if they'll give me that stuff.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:04 PM   #7
arizona98tj

Sounds like you ended up with a display model that may have had someone else going through the shipping box before they sold it to you. I had that happen to me when buying a handgun from a larger sporting goods store.

I've ran a couple thousand rounds through my SuperNova and don't recall the problem you are describing. You should NOT have to rack the living #%*! out of it to chamber a round. That just isn't right.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:47 PM   #8
sks

Glock19: Sorry that I was incorrect. Was confusing the SuperNova with the M2000. SuperNova came with three and the M2000 came with five.

Super Nova: Modified; Full, Cylinder

M2000: Modified; Improved Cylinder; Full; Skeet; Extra Long Turkey

The good thing is that both of them are interchangeable so I've got a load of chokes for each one.

Arizona: I was not suggesting that he had to rack the ???? out of it, just do it forcefully. He might have gotten a display model but they should have told him that up front.

Hope that is all it is.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:13 PM   #9
arizona98tj

Quote:
If I just rack the living s**t out of it, it will cycle correctly.
sks....I was only responding to the OP's statement....wasn't trying to address anything you may have mentioned.
Old May 28, 2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Glock_19

If response to what I said earlier, there are two clicks at the end of a pull of the fore end. If I take a slow, or half pull of the pump the second click (which is the loading arm? spring resetting) doesn't happen and so the shell doesn't get loaded correctly. If I take a nice full pull with some authority it works fine. I think it just needs to be broken in a little more.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:00 PM   #11
sks

Zona98: No problem. Sorry I didn't catch that.