The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 30, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
radioflyer

Sig P226 with "E2-Hogue" Grip Modification

I never considered owning a Sig 226 until the E2 style grips came out. The smaller dimensions gave me a more natural control over the grip, But I really wanted the finger-grooves of a hogue wrap-around grip. To date Hogue does not offer a wrap-around grip with the same dimensions of the E2 style grip.

Attempt 1 involved cutting and molding a piece of plastic and sandwiching it between the factory grip and the frame. I drilled holes in the factory plastic grip to allow the insert to be anchored. The solution wasn't pretty, but it worked:

I ended up destroying the factory grip trying to fix the cosmetic issues. I bought and installed a hogue grip:

Today I buckled down and modified the Hogue grip. I essentially reduced the back strap to the size of the E2 grip. I started by marking on the inside of the grip's back strap how much material I wanted to remove then used my band saw to cut away the material on the one side. Using the first side as a reference, I cut the second to match. I then used the Dremel set to 15000 rpm with a 120gr flapper wheel for rough blending and finished it off with a rounded file and 100 grit sandpaper.

I ended up removing about 2-2.5mm of material from the back strap which doesn't sound like much but makes a hell of a difference for me.

Comparison to the Old style 226 to the E2 on paper:

Old May 1, 2013, 02:37 AM   #2
Stringfellow

Excellent work!

I am a big believer in modifying Hogues, myself. Try stippling them--you can get them to look pretty similar to stock Sig grips. Note that this is a Euro model, with different screw holes and of course no rear stippling.

Old May 1, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3
radioflyer

how are the screw holes different on the euro model?

Did you sand the sides flat before stippling? I assume you can just use a wood burner or solder tip on the rubber.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Stringfellow

Yes, screw holes are different. ;(

I had to drill new ones and then fill the old ones in with some sort of liquid electrical tape compound.

Stippling was with a a soldering iron. It was very easy and only took about 15 minutes per side, with no prep required. The tricky part was keeping that plain border, which took a bit of effort.

It is so easy and so grippy, with no downsides, that I now do it to every pistol of mine that has a plastic or rubber grip. If you have felt the Sig E2 grips, that is exactly what stippled grips feel like.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #5
radioflyer

I hear you. I found that if you take a fine-tip sharpie and draw where you want to stipple, you can get a good outline of where you want to put texture. I did that with this re-vamped P2000SK (I call it now the "P30SK") Sitting next to my p30 you can see the resemblance

I'll have to give the rubber grip some more work, but I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and see if any more adjustments need to be made.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
ShipWreck

I prefer rubber grips on all my guns. I wish someone would make rubber drop in panels for those Hk P30s.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I just ordered the E2 grip kit for my P220. I am excited. I really like he new e2 grips.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 1, 2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Stringfellow

Radioflyer: That is really great work on the P2000--creative and well done!