The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2010, 02:38 AM   #1
DG45

Brassy bullet residue on my P3AT feeding ramp

Is anyone else seeing brassy residue on their semi-auto's feeding ramp? If so, do you associate this residue with any particular brand of ammunition or is this something common to all? I'm mostly a revolver man, and don't do a lot of semi shooting, but I do have several semis that I occasionally shoot. One of them is a P3AT that I carry a lot and shoot a little. However, I had it out to the range a couple of times this past week and I guess over both days I fired about 85 rounds total. I keep that gun fluffed and buffed and polished and lubed, and as a result, it was dead stone reliable with the PMC ball ammo I was shooting in it, but when I started to field strip, clean, lube, polish and generally refurbish it after shooting, I noticed this brassy residue on the feeding ramp. I'm accustomed to the black powder residue, but I don't remember seeing brass residue from the bullets before. I think between that brass residue and the powder residue, it could have interferred with the smooth feeding of my gun if I'd fired twice as much ammo as I did. it Maybe I just never noticed this brass residue before. I guess it's just painted on the bullets anyway. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide about this.
Old November 15, 2010, 08:06 AM   #2
crazy charlie

I think it could be the ammo. Don't shoot PMC, but I wouldn't worry about it since it sounds like you keep it clean. Come to think about it IIRC I 've had some brass residue on my .22 Walther PP on occasion with certain clad ammo (can't remember the brand) , but here again I don't think it's a problem with good cleaning ethic.