The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 14, 2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Dougw47

hmmmm....

I sold a dozen or so Henry's at my store...never had any come back... customers reported great satisfaction. But, anyone can get a lemon, I guess.

We don't sell Remington ammo...can't speak to that quality, I shoot a lot of Winchester and Federal with on problems to report.

I have talked with Anthony Imperato, nice guy on the phone, he sent me a cap and a coffee mug.

I second the cleaning suggestion, and trying different ammo. If you have done all that, talk to the people at the store...if all else fails, call Anthony. He will make it right.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:48 AM   #27
sc928porsche

My J.C. Higgens bolt single loves remington the best. My Winchester 190 adores the mini mags. Each firearm is an individual be it shotgun, pistol, rifle, rimfire or centerfire.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:56 AM   #28
GLK

Quote:
and it seems that he may of been using Remington ammo which is the worst American ammo available
You may want to buff up on your 22 mag ammo knowledge, Remington Premiers are the most accurate and consistent 22magnum ammo I have shot from my Winchester 9422mag my Ruger 1022mag my Marlin 922M and a old beat to heck and back Mossberg Chuckster in 22mag. Never suffered a hiccup through 4000 plus rds of the Remington Premiers. FWIW I have also had amazing consistency and accuracy with Remington labeled 17Mach2 ammo, but I do have to admit the 17Mach2 is manufactured by Eley in England.

Quote:
Get some CCI Mini-mags which are pretty well known for reliability and consistency. With quality ammo you will be able to cross ammo off your list of reasons for issues.
Why in the world would he want to shoot 22LR ammo in a gun chambered for the 22 Magnum cartridge, I would think that would only makes things even worse.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:03 PM   #29
L_Killkenny

My bad GLK, he had referenced shooting both a .22lr version and a .22mag version in a later post and I had forgotten.dismissed that he owned the .22mag of that combo. You are absolutely correct, Remington .22mag ammo does have a much better reputation than their .22lr lines (which is still crap). So for ammo recommendations toss out what I said. I might add though that "IF" he was shooting pointed polymer tipped ammo it "may have" contributed to his feeding issues when trying to run the gun fast and trying different ammo is still advisable if nothing else for accuracy.

Good catch, LK
Old July 14, 2010, 12:18 PM   #30
GLK

I knew you knew what you meant, and I totally agree on the blasting the crude out of and lubing every nook and cranny, some of the dirtiest guns I have seen at times were straight from the factory. Everything from barrel obstructions to crushed/crumbled up Styrofoam pellets/balls in actions.

Tags
action , feeding , lever , reliability , soft