The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 4, 2004, 03:19 PM   #1
ACP230

Celebrating The 4th The FA Way.

One of the things John Adams said the 4th should be celebrated with was guns. We tried to do him proud yesterday, July 3.

There were long guns from single-shot .22s to a 470 double rifle to a blackpowder cannon. Handguns included Smith M18, M41, M28, M610, plus assorted Colt autos of the target and 9mm Combat Commander varieties.
Three collections were represented. My bunch tends toward hard-core gun accumulation.

Toward the end of the day we broke out two Reisings and a Madsen M50. (Yeah, all papered and legal.) After some paper targets were ventilated strenously, twelve sneaky steel plates appeared on racks and we shot them down in teams and man against man. There was a lot of blasting from the guns and clanging from the plates as they fell off the racks. My 9mm Madsen ate up the plates and Olympic 9mm ball. It seemed to have an edge over the .45 Reisings due to lighter recoil and a slower rate of fire.

My son and I teamed up against the two Reising gunners once. He used the Combat Commander and I used the Madsen. That time I got a slow start and they beat us. I found out later they were both on semi for the run.

Years ago, at the Second Chance Bowling Pin Shoot, I shot a side event with plates with a Reising. I shot a couple of runs back to back. On one the gun got put on semi by mistake. I was two seconds faster on semi than when I was pulling the Reising down out of FA recoil.

Might be a topic in that somewhere, eh?

It was the first time I'd shot the Madsen all year. Today I'm tired but smiling a lot.

Happy Independence Day! God Bless America!
Old July 4, 2004, 09:37 PM   #2
IamNOTaNUT

Sounds like your Saturday was perfect. I celebrated the 4th by going to the range with a couple of bowling pins and getting some trigger time with the Colt 9mm SMG. I worked on FA double taps while on the move, followed by some semi-auto work between 15 and 50 yards. This thing is a heck of lot of fun.

Yes, life is good today in the USA.

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA
Old July 7, 2004, 11:46 AM   #3
Chipperman

Couldn't go on Sunday, so I went Tuesday instead.

Fired my MP5 and M16. Lots O' Fun!
Old July 9, 2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I guess it counts as part of the Independence Day WEEKEND - - -

On a mountaintop in Brewster County - - -

We probably fired 250 -- 300 rounds from a '28 Thompson at steel plates, and rocks, and cactus plants. And another hundred or so from various handguns. Noisy fun.

And, well after dark on the 4th, 30 rounds of tracer from an HK91 and an M1A. No full auto there, but pretty cool, really.

Best,
Johnny
Old July 11, 2004, 09:47 PM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Here's Johnny's...

...Brewster County 4th.

Firing the Thompson is THR member Freakhouse; observing to the right is Spartacus/Byron Quick. I'm squinting through the viewfinder and giggling maniacally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brewsterco4th.jpg (70.0 KB, 83 views)