The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2000, 08:22 AM   #1
vince weng

I am going to purchase a rem 870 shotgun. I narrowed down to 870 marine magnum and police magnum. Actually I don't see police mangum in Rem catalog. Could any one give me that model in details? I am wondering if the receiver (both models) can accept other barrels (choked, rifled, sighted and so on) other than cyclinder barrel?
Old July 19, 2000, 10:17 AM   #2
Icopy

Great choices in shotguns. I would go with the Police magnum model. I have one and I love it. They seem to be made better and they allow the installation of a side saddle. Whereas, with the Marine model, you have to modify the forearm to install a side saddle. I'm not sure if the marine magnun has the anti-jam elavator or not. If it has one, there will be a U shaped notch in the elavator. By the way, you won't find the Police model in their catalog. I don't know why. But you can legally buy one. Check with your dealer or look into shotgun news for prices. Both models will take all Remington barrels, so you have the flexibility of going from home defense to hunting to skeet barrels. I think you can get either in bead sight or rifled sight barrels. The Police model can be had in either Parkarized or Blued finish. You can also choose between fixed walnut or top folding stocks. I believe standard the barrel length for the 870 is either 18 or 18.5. Hope this helps.
Old July 19, 2000, 10:35 AM   #3
vince weng

thanks Icopy. a question for you. the rifle sighted barrels are rifled, smooth bored? cyclinder or improved, choke?

thanks
Old July 19, 2000, 12:44 PM   #4
Icopy

The rifle sighted barrel for my 870 Police Magnum is smooth bored and Improved Cylinder choked. It patterns well with both buck shot and rifled slugs. If you go with the Police model, make sure the receiver says Police Magnum. Some people who advertise Remington Police guns are just old 870 police trade-ins. There are real differences between the Police magnum marked guns and unmarked ones. Good Luck.
Old July 19, 2000, 03:36 PM   #5
JNewell

Vince, the 870 PM barrel options include all of the following: rifled/smooth; bead/rifle/ghost ring; 18.5/20". If you are ordering this, you should be able to pick whatever flavor suits you (subject to availability at the distributor).
Old July 21, 2000, 04:35 PM   #6
jthuang

Icopy is right, watch out for the tricky wording of some advertisements for so-called 870 "Police" shotguns.

Example (actual ad): "Remington 870 Police (stock)".

What it really was: Remington 870 Express (with mag dimples, too-long slide) with shortened 870 Police stock. Sheesh.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited July 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited July 21, 2000).]