The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Pezo

remington managed recoil slug experience?

Fired the new 590-a1 at the range yesterday, It is a very well made shotgun. I fired 3 different types of ammo. Fiocchi less recoil slugs, some (hard recoiling) winchester stardard rifles slugs when I ran out of the Fiocchi's. I did not like the recoil of the winchester slugs, so at the counter I picked up some remington managed recoil slugs. When I fired the first shot at about 10 yards. (I was shooting at the paper "bad guy" target). To my amazement I found 4 slug size hole's in the target. 2 in the head, 2 towards the torso. the lowest one looked like an oval. As if the projectile was toppling. Even the guy next to me mentioned he was amazed I had only fired one round. When I fired the 2nd round, low and behold, 3 large holes in the target. Every one of the "slugs" left multiple large holes in target. Interesting, anyone else have this expereince with these buckshot acting remington slugs?
Old February 5, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2
trubski

Yes! I had EXACTLY the same experience yesterday, at about 20 yards. Couldn't figure out what the hell was going on! I fired 5 rounds quickly and ended up with 9 holes in the target. What gives?
I like those slugs for target shooting cause they are so painless to shoot, and pretty inexpensive, but if you can't tell where you're shooting it's a little weird...
Old February 5, 2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Is it possible there's some kind of plastic wad or covering for the slug that's hitting the target?

In bird shot and buckshot loads there is a shot cup that will hit the target at close range and leaves a hole.

I suggest shooting at a longer distance and check for extra holes, and for grouping.

If it looks like the slug is actually fragmenting contact Remington.

In fact, you could contact Remington and ask what's going on here.

On their web site they have an excellent online question system:
http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...er/std_alp.php
Old February 5, 2006, 11:23 PM   #4
Doc TH

Shooting slugs

The extra holes in a paper target are from the wads. These can penetrate more than you might think; years ago had a DOA patient in the emergency room who had wads net to his chest - penetrated shirt and t-shirt.
Old February 6, 2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Ruger4570

If you are shooting at 10 yards it sure sounds like wads to me. I have seen wads from some of the sabot rounds all the way out to the 50 yard line at our range.
Old February 6, 2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Pezo

I thought it could be wads as well, but the fiocchi low recoiling rounds and the winchester standard slug's did not leave more than one hole. The fiocchi rounds use a cool transparent case and you can see the slug from all sides as well as what looks like a "spacer" looking wad. Are the remington's the same as the fiocchi's on the inside or are there that many more wads to cause this. Or is the slug (or wad) breaking up? SLug rounds dont have a cap on the top of the shell like buckshot shells do to keep the shot in. The slug is visable on the top. I'm pretty confident it had to be wad's if I had to bet. Still interesting it only happened in the remington rounds. I did ask remington, will wait for an awnser.
Old February 6, 2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Doc TH

Remington slugs

Should have mentioned on my previous response that I had identical observations shooting Rem. managed recoil slugs this week. Feel it must be wads or equivalent because the slugs themselves all patterned within an inch or so of point of aim, whereas the slightly less regular holes were variably located - high left, low at 6 o'clock, etc.
Old February 7, 2006, 11:21 PM   #8
trubski

Sounds like we all had the same experience. I just looked at that target again, and the irregular holes were pretty much all over the map, so I am also thinking that it must have been the wads. I also asked Remington but haven't heard from them yet.
Old February 8, 2006, 07:29 PM   #9
trubski

Well, here's a response I didn't expect. I still think it's the cup or the wadding, but maybe not.

From Remington:

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Thank you for your patience. At 20 yds it is possible. The lead is pliable and should mushroom rather than fragment.

Customer (xxxxx) - 02/05/2006 03:34 PM
I recently fired five 12 gauge managed recoil slugs at about 20 yards, and found that I had nine holes in my target. Is it possible that the slugs, or one of them, fragmented?
Old February 8, 2006, 08:25 PM   #10
gordo b.

I have fired about 750 rounds of the Rem slug. Yes it leaves a couple extra wad holes. The slug shoots way high in most guns at 25 yards or more,which means the rear sight is gonna come down.They are VERY accurate however and my Bennelli Nova Tactical prints 2" 50yard groups with them all day. The 870s don't do quite that well. These are my favorite 870 HD loads, a butter soft 1 oz 1000fps slug should do just what a slug should- and no more around the home. I use Brennekes in semi auto guns though(and for animals ).I have hit shilos 100% of the time at 100meters, on demand , and the steel goes down at that range! The drop seemed about a foot from a 25 yard zero.I aimed at the head and hit COM.
Old February 8, 2006, 10:45 PM   #11
trubski

Gordo -

You wrote: "The slug shoots way high in most guns at 25 yards or more,which means the rear sight is gonna come down.They are VERY accurate however "

I've been struggling with this with my Win 1300 D. I seem to consistently shoot these slugs both high and left. I'm shooting with a bead and am seriously considering rifle or peep sights on the gun to correct this. I suppose I should get serious and do some tests with other slugs first, though. However, I feel a little better now. I am pretty good with rifles, and it is somewhat frustrating to be so inaccurate with a new SG ...

I am confused by what you said about 'accurate' though - do you mean 'consistent'? Thanks....
Old February 9, 2006, 01:19 AM   #12
gordo b.

My Robar 870 with an Imp Cyl tube shoots into 4" at 50 Yards. The other home grown tactical 870 with a cyl barrel shoots into 6" at 50 yards, but it does not have a ghost ring only Rem rifle sights,both with the Rem reduced recoil slugs. The Robar gun shoots into 2" with Brenneke original slugs.Once again I like the Rem reduced recoil slugs in pump tactical guns, they have enough to do the job without excessive recoil (allowing for quicker shooting) or excessive penetration.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:02 PM   #13
dtarbox

At 50 yards I frequesntly have wads getting stuck in a cardboard target from the managed recoil slug.

D