The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 25, 2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Smallgame2100

Slings and hearing protection

Well, I have a few questions on each.

First off, hearing protection. I MAINLY shoot 22LR's, so I dont use hearing protection. Now, I want to shoot my shotguns more than I already do. So, I am forced to get a good pair of hearing protection. I dont want to spend THAT much, but dont want to skimp on quality either. I'm looking for something that'll make shotgun shooting easier (mainly with my saiga 12 and shooting faster than with my pump). So, I need a recommendation on ear muffs or ear plugs that work well for you. I dont want electronic ear muffs. So just regular ear muffs or ear plugs are what I'm looking for.

Next, slings. Only 1 of my guns has a sling (the lightest one, go figure). I'm not sure what slings are good quality and I'm just looking for a carrying sling. Nothing tactical or anything, just a plain hunting type sling.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 25, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
hoghunting

Quote:
I MAINLY shoot 22LR's, so I dont use hearing protection
BIG MISTAKE!!! Just because it is a .22 LR doesn't exempt it from causing hearing damage. Foam ear plugs or muffs from Silencio or Peltor will work wonders.
Old July 25, 2010, 11:58 PM   #3
mitchell koster

Slings, and Hearing protection.

First like the previous post, its better to wear hearing protection with all rifles. Human ears are not extremely sensetive but thats all we have so its better to have some rather than not have any at all.

Now onto slings, In my opinion wat-ever sling is best, is determined by how comfortable it is for you. I use a sling with sheeps wool on it which makes it lots softer. Make sure you can take the sling off easily as well.

Good luck with your research and safe hunting.

MK
Old July 26, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
ToddE

So the "ear ammo" plugs are actually foam plugs that that i use, they look like bullets, orange bullets!!! mack's has those earplugs, i personally liked them after enjoying some relief from the ear muff pressure.
http://www.macksearplugs.com/product...-Foam-Earplugs
Old July 26, 2010, 06:23 PM   #5
smoakingun

i used to shoot my 22 without muffs, now i have tinitis and hearing damage. by muffs, wear them. foam ear plugs are cheap, but if you got ear wax issues, they're gross. cheap sling? gi web sling, 15 bucks, any you can do more than carry your rifle with it if you ever decide to.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.