The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 19, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1
SC4006

Why is the NRA portrayed as "evil"?

I don't know if there has already been a thread on this already, but why does the mainstream media and most anti gunners portray the NRA as evil and that it must be defeated? Is it because the NRA is the only thing standing between the anti gunners and a totally gun free America? I don't understand how anyone can fall for that crap, the NRA has don't absolutely nothing wrong, if anything I think they've helped make us a safer country.

What are your opinions?

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2
LockedBreech

Because it's easier than actually addressing their arguments.

End of story.

There are also those who believe lobbies are inherently evil, although they're nothing more than the organized, large-scale practice of representative democracy. Some people like to discount corporate influence on them, as though corporate interests are not legitimate in a capitalism-based society.

The truth of the matter is that if there is enough grassroots desire for something, no corporation or political entity can stop it. Look at the tobacco lobby. They were more powerful than almost any lobby, but when enough people wanted change, they couldn't stop it.

Same thing is true for gun control. If enough people really felt the NRA was evil and had to be stopped, membership of 4.5 million with a $300 million budget would be pretty easy to overcome.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Kimio

My favorite is that we have other pro gun organizations that are against them as well, promoting further division amongst us with their blatent tear downs on the NRA.

(I'm looking at you NAGR)
Old April 19, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Yankee Traveler

Because they are the easiest target.

There are other obstacles standing in the way of the anti gunners ( common sense not being one of them) but the NRA is the biggest.
Thank God and the NRA!
Old April 19, 2013, 02:26 PM   #5
lcpiper

The roots of liberal America are suck deepest in our universities. The young are so easy to manipulate, their idealist world views and lack of real experience make young students vulnerable to manipulation and their energy is so dynamic it can truly be a force.

It is part of every revolutionary's handbook, start at the universities, get the youth involved, make them your patsies for change. They will make more then enough noise for you to move around and cause other trouble almost unnoticed.

It's so easy to focus the young on the government and big business as evil entities. You can lay every evil in the world right at their feet and these students will believe it, and they will do almost anything you ask to right the wrong and stop the injustice.

Mom and dad don't understand, they don't know anything. Everything is already, by definition, someone else' fault, who better to point fingers at then big business and the government.

It is so easy to make them believe that the NRA is a mouthpiece for the big evil ... what was the term?... Military-Industrial Complex. Big business on the rough side of the tracks. And they so easily think of gun owners as back woods hicks, uneducated and in need of leadership and enlightenment.

It never occurs to them to challenge what they are told by these liberals, that maybe the NRA actually does represent gun owners and that gun owners really do make up a huge part of the population, and that we do know what a keyboard is.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Oh, dear - off the rails already.

Closed