The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
UKWildcatFan7272

.45ACP load help, please - Rainier 200g Plated HP

I wanna try Bullseye out for once. I'm thinking of loading 4.0g and working my way up from there. Is this too low? I can't find this bullet in any of my reloading manuals. Any info is appreciated.

Alex
Old February 23, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Jimro

When you don't have data for the bullet you are using, look at bullets of the same mass (weight in grains or grams) and then look at the next heavier bullet.

With a 230 grain bullets Alliant is publishing for Bullseye, 5 grains for 812 fps, 5.7 grains for 840 fps.

So starting off with 4 grains and a 200 grain bullet might be a tad "anemic" for a 1911, fine if you are using a revolver though.

The one 200 grain bullet (a Speer LSWC) listed by Alliant uses 4.6 gr of Bullseye for 807 fps. IIRC LSWC is "lead semi wad cutter" and is a cast bullet which is the reason for the low charge and low velocity.

Since plated bullets are to be treated as cast bullets, I would start at 4.2 grains and work my way up to 5.0 grains in .2 grain increments. Somewhere in there I'm sure I would find a load that is both accurate and would reliably cycle my 1911 without any leading of the barrel. YMMV.

I hope this helps.
Jimro
Old February 24, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Walkalong

I use different powders, so cannot comment on Bullseye for that bullet, other than to say Jimro's advise about using a similar weight/type bullet to get data is sound.

50% to 75% of max jacketed data is perfectly safe, and can be exceeded with some powders.

You cannot hurt that bullet, plated though it is, with any sane .45 ACP load.

I load it at 1.200 OAL.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
overkill0084

Lee Modern Reloading shows a 4.0 gr of Bullseye load for a 200 gr lead bullet.
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook:
200 gr (Lyman #452460 SWC) load starting @ 3.5 gr- 5.6 gr MAX, w/ 1.16" OAL
Note: Starting that low may require a lighter recoil spring. I have seen loads that low used in revolvers fairly often.
another from the same book:
200 gr (Lyman #452630 SWC) Load starting 4.9 - 6.0 MAX, w/ 1.235" OAL

FWIW, I run 200 gr RNFP cast with 4.6 gr of Bullseye. Mild and accurate.

So, Yes, starting at 4.0 should be fine. Depending on your needs/intended use (they are HPs after all), starting around 4.5 gr may be worth some thought.

FYI, from the Rainier Site:

We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend a starting powder charge directly between the listed minimum and maximum load. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 26, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
scsov509

I run the 200 grain Berry's bullets in my 1911 over 4.6 grains of Bullseye. The SWC's have not functioned well for me in terms of feeding, but I've had good results with their FP's at that weight. My favorite of the Berry's are the 185 HBRN. I run those at hardball length, but the smaller bullet is more economical when shooting indoors at a lead free range. They're worth a try if you wanna go with plated bullets.