The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2009, 08:16 AM   #1
xtr

Holster for G23

I am looking for a new conceal carry holster for my Glock 23 (Gen 1, no tac rail). My friend who is an Army Ranger recommended Galco. I currently use a Blackhawk Serpa. It is way too bulky and hangs down way too low. I want a less bulky holster that also rides higher. I do not care about quickness of draw. I do care about being able to sit and move about comfortably. I also need the gun to stay concealed when wearing non baggy shirts. I have never tried an IWB, but do not 100% like the idea of it being inside my pants. I also want to keep the price around $40 , Any suggestions?
Old February 26, 2009, 09:13 AM   #2
hercules

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=35

There is no other way to go than IWB for deep concealment...
Old March 4, 2009, 05:09 AM   #3
niko4203

good luck

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...wse&ctg_id=419
Old March 4, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
redrick

There's not much for $40, that's any good. Don Humm will be your best bet for a good lower priced holster.
Old April 1, 2009, 08:44 AM   #5
voyager4520

Don Hume holsters are awesome. For my G23, I got the H721 O.T. conceal holster. Mine is black though.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=44

One suggestion though, before putting the gun in the holster, wash your hands very thoroughly and then use the pads of your fingers to rub the inside of the holster for about 15 minutes, making sure to get in every little crevice. You don't want to use a cloth because fibers will get caught in the leather. This rubbing will remove the excess bits of rough leather which will rub onto your gun. Every leather holster will be tight when you first buy it. You can stretch it out by pushing against the insides of the holster with your fingers. The best way to wear in a holster though, is to literally wear it in. Wear your holster with the gun in it for about a week, but NEVER leave your gun in any holster for long periods of time because moisture will be trapped against metal and accelerate corrosion.

For polishing, Kiwi neutral shoe polish works well, of course make sure to rub off all excess and let dry before putting your gun in it, and DO NOT put the polish on the INSIDE of the holster.

Galco's website has a great list of suggestions for leather holster care, including how to correctly use silicone spray on the inside of the holster to prevent the leather from removing too much of the finish from your gun.

Edit: As to wearing your gun in the holster for a week, that doesn't mean a whole weak, just on and off. And don't leave the gun in the holster for more than overnight.

Last edited by voyager4520; April 1, 2009 at 08:50 AM.