The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2008, 10:43 PM   #1
JayCee

Used Reloading Equipment on eBay

Been looking for another powder measure, and thought I'd try eBay. Thought I'd find a good deal, but the prices being bid for used powder measures seem to be running 80-90 percent of the cost of a new item! I've even seen bids for more than retail price on more than one occasion. What's up with this? Is there some sort of shortage of reloading equipment, or do folks just not know how much a new item costs? I basically refuse to pay more than 50 percent for something sight unseen, so I finally just decided to go ahead and buy a new measure. Probably paid only about 15 bucks more than I'd have paid on eBay.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old December 9, 2008, 10:49 PM   #2
dardascastbullets

Gotta be careful of the auctions where there are 'plants' that artificially bump up the price. I would recommend other auction sites such as reloadersauction.com. E-Bay is anti-gun as well as Paypal. Reloadersauction.com has great items and a very large selection at that.
Old December 9, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3
JayCee

Thanks, I'll check 'em out!

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old December 10, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4
wncchester

"I've even seen bids for more than retail price on more than one occasion. What's up with this?"

No one is telling me anything to explain this but it sure is true!

I suspect a lot of newbies either believe that because an item is being sold used it will be a good deal OR, if they check at all, they check full retail prices. I started buying a few items from time to time on eBay some years ago, selling prices were rational if not cheap at that time. Not now, and I too limit my bids on used things to half or less of new so it's rare that I "win" anything on eBay these days. Some of those bid prices tempt me to sell my old stuff and get new, basically for free!

I'm happy for the sellers though. No matter the bid price, the buyers can't say they were ripped off. As always, it's the buyer who establishes what anything is worth to him!
Old December 10, 2008, 11:39 AM   #5
The Terminator

It is called shill bidding. It happens all of the time. It is against the "rules", but is really not enforceable. It goes back as far as any type of auctions ever held.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 10, 2008, 12:17 PM   #6
vranasaurus

I agree on ebay you can find the occasional deal.

I was looking for a set of 9mm dies, shell plate, die plates, and a 45 ACP crimp die and found nothing for less than I could get it from an online store I have dealt with in the past.

I did however pick up a used RCBS .223 lube die for $20 shipped. Which I think is a fairly good deal since they cost at least $33 plus shipping.

There are deals to be had on ebay but you have to look hard.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:01 PM   #7
BigJimP

That's why I think most of the internet auction sites are a waste of time.

I order the stuff I need from the mfg or a good local dealer - so if I have an issue, I can take it back or discuss a solution with the retailer. The internet is good for some things like books, CD's ..... but not for tools, reloading stuff, guns, etc in my opinion - and even when I use the internet, I prefer to deal with outlets that also have a brick and mortar operation.

I deal with Dillon direct because nobody in my area carriers parts or accessories / but for most everything else I go thru my local dealers.