The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 14, 2005, 07:36 PM   #1
springmom

Home, home on the range... a bit long

Or at least it's beginning to feel like home, as much as I go over there!

Today was a day to get better control over the Bersa Thunder .380. My last range time was spent all at 15 yards, and I came home frustrated at my inability to really direct the shots where I wanted them. Granted, had I been shooting at a BG, yeah, he'd have been hurting (and as often as I shot high, he wouldn't have HAD a brain pan left! :barf: ) but that wasn't the point. I was trying for the bullseye, not for headshots that were supposed to be heart shots!!!

At any rate, today I sent about 150 rounds through the Bersa, and I certainly figured out how to use the sights (6 o'clock, for me) and that I need to compensate a wee bit to send the shots a little (and I mean LITTLE.... like 1/2-1 inch) to the right from where they're landing. That's data, and I can go with that and practice more.

Two things, though, distressed me. First, when I shot the XD-40, you'd have thought I'd never shot a .40 cal before! Ick! I used to be able to drill out the bullseye with that before I got the Bersa. Now, well, I need to figure out how to adjust from one to the other.

Second, I continue to have failure to feed issues. Yes, I had a couple more on the aftermarket magazines than the factory mag, but I had it there too. I know that "limp-wristing" can be a cause of that.

My questions:

(1) What is the best way to get to the point of being equally proficient with both guns? (I know...practice...what I want is suggestions of things to do when practicing.)

(2) This may sound stupid, but apart from the fact of the failure to feed issues, how do you know if you're limp-wristing? and how would you correct it or compensate for it?

Thanks, guys.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old November 14, 2005, 10:17 PM   #2
pax

springmom --

Good for you for getting to the range & practicing.

Dunno about the rest, but the shots going high are probably because your eyes are racing down to the target to see how you did, instead of staying fixated on the front sight until you have completed your follow through.

Try this next time: after the shot goes off, continue holding the trigger completely to the rear until your sights are lined back up on target. Count one-onethousand, two-onethousand before you release the trigger. During that entire time, do not allow your gaze to shift to the target itself. Keep your front sight in extreme focus.

After you have done that with single shots, try shooting an entire magazine without allowing your eyes to change focus from front sight to target.

Let me know if that helps...

pax
Old November 14, 2005, 11:11 PM   #3
LHB1

Springmom,
I was at CC range today also, practicing one of the things that might help you. To shoot a pistol accurately you should:
1. maintain a consistent grip
2. align the sights on the target
3. fire the gun without disturbing the sights.
After shooting pistols for over 40 years, including several years of NRA Bullseye competition, I still have trouble with item three. Suspect that many other people do also. Thus my range time today was devoted to intense concentration on trigger control using a scope sighted S&W M41 in .22 LR. Dry fire practice (WITH EMPTY GUN) helps trigger control too. Remember that practice reinforces whatever techniques you are using in that practice. Unless you use correct techniques during practice you are only reinforcing bad habits. IMO QUALITY beats QUANTITY in practicing. Just my .02.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB