The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2005, 03:37 PM   #1
magnum2005

Mossberg 500 .50 cal conversion scope question.

I currently own a Moss. 500 combo great gun that i plan on fitting with a scope for deer season this year. I also just purchased a .50 conversion barrel for it from midway (Great Co. w/ Great people) any ways I was wondering if I would have to purchase two seperate scopes one for slugs the other for BP or not . If there is a scope that will meet the needs of both applications please let me know. I am also on a bit of a budget.
I can't see paying the price of the gun for something to put on top of it.
Old June 14, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2
mtnboomer

Actually you're in luck. Any good shotgun scope would work great as a blackpowder scope as both have a range of about 100 yards. I have a Tasco Bantam shotgun scope on my CVA BP rifle.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old June 22, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3

A red dot is an idea

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old June 23, 2005, 02:06 AM   #4
arcticap

1. You can get by with one scope but you will have to resight it in when you switch barrels. If you keep a record of your click adjustments, you may avoid wasting too much ammo each time you switch barrels.
2. I take my Simmons 4X Shotgun scope off it's mount when I go smoothbore shooting, and remount it without noticeable change in zero.
3. There are some really good used deals on Ebay for scopes of all kinds, often at half price.
4. You might want to put covers on your scope for the conversion barrel to help keep the lens free of powder when loading. I use flip ups, but any kind will help, clear or not.
5. I'm curious about how the conversion barrel shoots, maybe you can post about it in the B.P. forum. I hope you shoot the least corrosive powder available so you don't contaminate the moving parts, and keep them clean in any event.