The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Anyone Bulk Load 8mm?

Im thinking about loading a bunch of 8mm Mauser Ammo (200 Rounds maybe). I was wondering if this load I've worked up in my head would be good. Here it is:

Reformed, once fired .30-06 Sprn. Brass
Winchester WLR Primers
IMR 4064 (~40 Grains-44.5)
Prvi-Partizan 198 Grain FMJ

I plan to push the shoulder back and get a rough trim with the forming die, then Full Length Size with an 8mm Decapper. Would I need to anneal the cases? I want them to function and fire reliably.

Anyway, advice is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,

-Mo.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old March 27, 2015, 12:38 PM   #2
TimSr

I load 8mm mauser, but use 8mm mauser cases, but in response to your question, I have found that it is never a good idea to bulk load any load you worked up in your head, until its been satisfactorily tested, unless you like pulling bullets every time you want to tweak it.
Old March 27, 2015, 01:58 PM   #3
condor bravo

I can't really add much other than to point out that by reforming 06 cases to 8mm, the entire shoulder of an 06 case will become part of the neck section of the reformed 8mm. Possibly the 06 shoulder brass is thicker than what 8mm neck brass should be and this could be a consideration. Or have you obtained information that this reforming is satisfactory? Have you tried getting 8mm brass from the various sources; I have never had any problem finding 8mm. Graf & Sons is always a good place to start for brass. If you end up using reformed 06cases first make sure the sized cases by themselves will chamber properly and as pointed out above just load a very few to begin with.
Old March 28, 2015, 12:11 PM   #4
condor bravo

A rebuttal to my post #3:

But since the 06 case shoulders will end up at .32 8mm neck size, perhaps any brass thickness differences would even out and be pretty much of a non-issue.

The main difficulty will probably be resizing the 06 case body lengths down to 8mm body length without buckling or creasing the cases. Use plenty of lube. I would ask if anyone has any experience reforming 06 brass to 8mm.

Last edited by condor bravo; March 28, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old March 28, 2015, 01:35 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

No 8mm brass near you? Just easier and less mucking around. Hornady is relatively inexpensive at Midway. $38.99 per 50.
The 8mm is .254" shorter than the '06 too. Mostly neck length. Best to anneal after necking in either direction.
40.0 to 44.5 of IMR4064 is a 200 grain load according to Hodgdon. That'll do nicely. 4 grains won't matter.
However, do not load 200 rounds until you have worked up the final load. There is no such thing as ~.
Old March 28, 2015, 02:53 PM   #6
condor bravo

I guess we are attempting to talk you out of what may end up as a very frustrating case reforming project and seek out 8mm brass instead. Bulk brass often comes in packages of 50 so by purchasing two you will end up with five even 20 round boxes. There must be some conspiracy going on there to pressure consumers into buying more than what they might normally buy. Who wants 10 cases left over from an even two boxes? Therefore you buy two packages of 50 in order to end up with an even five boxes of 20.

Last edited by condor bravo; March 28, 2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old March 28, 2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Mosin-Marauder

.30-06 cases are nearly a third the cost of PPU 8mm brass. Both per 100. That's mainly why.

Also, I do plan to work up a load before I load in bulk.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old March 28, 2015, 04:37 PM   #8
hartcreek

Mosin what you are proposing to do is easy. I just did it a bit more then a week ago but with only 100 cases. Price is everything as I bought 100 once fired 30-06 and my LGS for $10.80. I just used RCBS loading dies and had no problems. I sized them and trimmed them and then chambered each case to make sure ther would be no problems.

I used an 8mm bullet that I cast and wound up using 40 grains of 3031.

You really have to watch what powder you use because the 8mm cases is so small that some powders such as 4350 simply will not work because of their bulk.