The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Nathan

Cartridge Gage vs "plunk test"

I always do the plunk test, but recently, I've been reloading for multiple pistols in each caliber. In this case, I just check one.

Are case gages worth the money, or am I better off doing the "plunk test".
Old May 24, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
F. Guffey

I will assume the plunk test is accomplished by dropping a loaded round in the barrel chamber. There are reloaders that do the plunk with a Wilson case gage.

Nathan, I have gages, most are one ended, meaning one end is open, not a problem, there are straight edges, height gages and set up tables. I also use the feeler gage, to some it is know and or called a thickness gage.

F. Guffey

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 24, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 05:54 AM   #3
wpsdlrg

The "plunk test" is great, for what it is. It ONLY tells you if the finished rounds will chamber in that barrel - that's all. It tells NOTHING about function - feeding, extraction, ejection, etc.

So, I much prefer the "cycle test". I test cycle a representative sample from each loaded batch (a dozen or so) in each gun in which they will be used. If they cycle easily in the guns, by HAND operation, then they certainly will in actual use.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:37 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

gauge vs chamber

Virtually all production guns have chambers larger than the case gauges available (I use Dillon and Midway and EGW).

But....

....I have one custom-barreled 9x19 with chamber so tight that none of my gauges can tell me if ammo will fit.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #5
boxing21

The "plunk" test is better than nothing, but for the price of a gauge I have one for every caliber I reload. This is more important if you have multiple firearms in the same caliber that you will be shooting your loads in. As mentioned, I also do a "cycle" test each time I make a new batch. Using the gauge, and the cycle test, I've never encountered any problems. Plus, I'm lazy (not really but..) so it's easier to grab the gauge from my bench, than it is to go into the safe, and field strip the weapon.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
boondocker385

I plunk and cycle test. I wave one lone Wolf barrel that is tight compared to others in the same caliber and use it.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:39 AM   #7
DennRN

I'm a noob compared to you, but here is my take:
A case gauge will only help you get into the ballpark.
Using the barrel of the gun you are reloading for will tell you a little bit more since it is exactly the specs you are trying to match.
That being said I use a factory round as an initial template in my reloading.
I use my barrel to modify a few uncharged and unprimed rounds until it is to spec with a comfortable margin of error, then use my case gauge and calipers to keep me in that ballpark for the duration of an ammo run.
Before going to the range I barrel plunk each bullet since I like to oil my barrels for storage and have to clean them prior to heading out anyway.

-Dennis
Old May 25, 2013, 01:44 PM   #8
CrustyFN

A case gage won't tell you if the OAL is good. Only the barrel will do that. For example if I seat a 124 grain JHP to an OAL of 1.12 and everything else is good the round will pass the case gage test. It will chamber and work in my Glock fine but if I want it to work in my CZ the bullet has to be seated to an OAL of 1.036. If I want the same ammo to work in both guns then it all has to be seated to the shorter OAL. The case gage dosen't do me much good.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9

The best cartridge gauge is your pistol's chamber. If you own and load for multiple pistols in the same caliber, you can load for each pistol individually, or load for the pistol with the shortest throat/tightest chamber as the worst case scenario.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:16 PM   #10
hodaka

I use the barrels for 9mm and .45 but a case gage is needed for .223 because cycling is too difficult and dangerous.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:47 AM   #11
357gp

Don't forget to do a magazine fit check as well. I've had some pass the plunk test & then fail to fit in my mags. All were made to published COL's.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:07 AM   #12
603Country

I 'plunk' em and then shoot a few.
Old May 26, 2013, 03:20 PM   #13
McDAccountant

Quote:
The "plunk test" is great, for what it is. It ONLY tells you if the finished rounds will chamber in that barrel - that's all. It tells NOTHING about function - feeding, extraction, ejection, etc.

So, I much prefer the "cycle test". I test cycle a representative sample from each loaded batch (a dozen or so) in each gun in which they will be used. If they cycle easily in the guns, by HAND operation, then they certainly will in actual use.
I do the "plunk test". I do the "cycle test". After the cycle test, I go a step further and check the COAL for any possible bullet setback. If the COAL is different from what I started with, I know I have a potential problem.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:01 AM   #14
Edward429451

The cycle test is a given, but when reloading I prefer the plunk test for handgun cartridges and case gauges for rifle rounds.

Though when I first began reloading, it was for 45acp and my colt 1911 and I merely did a magazine test and it never steered me wrong. If they fit in the mag it would work in the gun.