The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 26, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Clevinger

Storing Rifles in a Safe

So I bought a safe as I have a child that will be into them before long.

I am kind of particular about my guns, especially my Model 70 Super Grade.

The metal surfaces of my rifles have a light coat of Break-free CLP, they are in silicone-lined sack-ups, and they have a little dehumidifier in the safe with them like the one pictured.

Am I okay?

Old January 26, 2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Dc777

Just keep an eye on them. Look at them once a week for a month or so. The gun socks are what really help out.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 26, 2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Garycw

That little dehumidifier works pretty good. Just check it every cpl weeks and plug in for 12-24 hours or until crystals are bright blue. I also make up desiccant packs out of large coffee filters. I use these in ammo cans etc. you can buy the same stuff in that little dehumidifier at hobby lobby called Dri Splendor. It has the blue to pink indicating crystals and can be recharged in microwave or oven.
Old January 26, 2014, 07:43 PM   #4
longranger

Take them apart and wax everything you can possible get to,buff, polish remove the wax.Treat oiled wood with "Howard's Wax N Feed,available at ACE,Home Despot.Wax should be high grade caranuba. I use instrument wax(wood)high grade auto wax with no cleaners just wax.Only oil,bolt release and other small moving parts.oil migrates and goes into undesirable places.Put them back together then sack them,you will never see rust on anything.Long term storage wax the bores and chambers.It works museums use a similar process for their collectible guns. I find they clean up after using much quicker and the wax reapplied after a few outings.
Old January 26, 2014, 08:38 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, I've had zero gun safe issues, since I installed a 110v Golden Rod dehumidifier (about 15 years ago) - now, I don't even think about it, much less have to "check" an absorbent every so often.

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.co...ifications.htm

Old January 27, 2014, 07:48 AM   #6
jehu

The dehumidifier is good. I also coat my firearms with Balistol oil and never have a problem.
Old January 27, 2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Knight cadet

Having central air helps out alot too because it dehumidifies the whole house.
Old January 27, 2014, 03:01 PM   #8
jmr40

In my experience putting guns inside cloth sacks is a good way to ATTRACT and hold moisture and ruin guns. They are not meant for long term storage.

I've never had an issue. I just make sure the safe doors are opened for a few hours once a week or so and let air circulate inside.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:09 PM   #9
tobnpr

I guess a dehumidifier is required if the safe or cabinet is in a non-conditioned space.

My gun cabinets are in the air-conditioned house...which is de-facto, de-humidified already.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 27, 2014, 07:20 PM   #10
603Country

My gun safe is in the barn. No heat or A/C. I tried the granular stuff, but wasn't happy with it. Got a Goldenrod that plugs in and have had no problems at all in years.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:30 PM   #11
smee78

Another +1 for the goldenrod, I use one in mine and haven had any broblems, I wipe my guns down once in a while but no other special richuals.