The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 3, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
madcratebuilder

CVA 12ga

I'm looking at a CVA 12ga muzzel loader, engraved, nickle plated locks(one is broke) and trigger guard. Nice checkered wood. I'm not finding a lot of info on this model and I'm tried to get an idea on value. Is $250-300 a ball park for this shotgun?
Old September 3, 2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

If it didn't have a broke lock; yeah, bout that.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 3, 2010, 02:53 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

I wouldsay under $200 with the broken lock. You did not say how it was broken, could be broken main spring to cracked hammer. Start looking at replacement parts for it, try Dixey Gun works they carry parts for almost anything blackpowder. A replacement lock can set you back anywhere around $100, now is the time to do your homework so you will have extra bargining power if you buy it.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:28 PM   #4
mykeal

Deer Creek for the lock replacement. I found the left hand one there for a friend a few years ago and I understood he had a couple left.

$200 with broken lock, $300 with good locks. Assuming, of course, good bore condition.

I built this one around 1980:
Old September 3, 2010, 07:27 PM   #5
plumbernater

I got a build your own kit that came from cabelas along time ago. Itwas given to me a few years back and was missing the screws that hold the 2 locks together. Im not sure who mad it but it looks just like yours mykeal. Might could be talked into a deal. Was gonig to hang it over the fire place cause I cant find right screws. Thought about re taping in a thread that would work.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:24 PM   #6
noelf2

200 to 250 would be ok, but with broke lock, 200 tops. There's a CVA shotgun lock on gunbroker right now for 40 bucks (right side). It doesn't look nickel, but you probably only need the spring. Of course, that only helps if the right side is broke on the CVA you're looking at.