The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2004, 04:49 AM   #1
Tommy gunn

Star progressive press

How does the Star progressive compare with the Dillon?
Old July 21, 2004, 11:45 AM   #2
Quantrill

The Star is the standard to which all others must be compared. Dillon was originally inspired by the Star. Quantrill
Old July 22, 2004, 04:14 PM   #3
Paul Fitz Jones

Star Progressive Reloaders

The Star was the first reloader to use the term "Progressive" and was made in 1931 and patented in 1933. The quality of the materials and workmanship has made their two highly successful models last for millions of rounds. Dillon hung around Star and made some parts that brought on bad blood between them and when the remaining unsold parts were obtained by Star in a lawsuit they were thrown in the ocean. The Star luber was deliberately sold to Magma to keep it away from Dillon and basically the Dillon 17 models were based the Star whose elderly owners wished to retire.

Thousands of Stars have been used for generations and I am the surviving Star company reloader reconditioning center and still have a supply of "Original" parts for the reloader and luber (while they last) and have a helpful site for Star tool owners and some are my customers since the 1970's.

http://www.topica.com/lists/StarReloadersGroup
readable by anyone and Star owners are welcome to join.

Quantrill is a helpful mentor on the list.
Police Firearms Instructor

Last edited by Paul Fitz Jones; July 22, 2004 at 04:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old September 3, 2004, 12:08 AM   #4
George Tucker

Star Machines

I have 2 Star Machines, with Chevron case feeders, one Machine made in 1937 and one made in 1951, after all these years they still perform first class, the one made in 1937 was used overseas to load for years at a police station, has loaded 9mm and 45ACP by the thousands of rounds, still works great, i have 4 Green Machines and a 550-B Dillon, on a good day, the Star will out perform all of them, just my opinon of course, George.
Old September 3, 2004, 12:53 AM   #5
Paul Fitz Jones

Stars good for millions of rounds W/ Spare Parts Kit

The only parts on decades old Stars that need replacement to maintain the accuracy of the primer seating parts is an Original San Diego Spare Parts Kit consisting of the primer slide, Primer Punch and Primer bushing and any worn springs that I may have left.

The Primer kit is only $xx plus shipping. Star Reloader and Luber parts lists and Star factory information copies are provided also.

Dozens of new powders slides available
Old September 3, 2004, 06:24 AM   #6
Powderman

It is also interesting to note that the original Dillon super-progressive--the Dillon 1000--was almost a direct copy of the Star.
Old September 4, 2004, 10:43 AM   #7
LAH

The Star is a good machine. One of my fellow casters has one set up for 38 Spec. I have several customers who own them and probably the weakest thing is the priming system from what they've told me.

Another friend used several Stars his handi-man converted to hyd. and loaded millions of rounds with. They were easier to keep in adjustment than the Camdex. They did not however use the Stars to prime cases. This was done on a different machine.

I've been told a Star couldn't be built now as well as in the past. I've heard the same about rifles and handguns. It seems though the groups just keep getting smaller and the records keep falling.

If there was a need for a better loader, someone would build it. The demand isn't there, if it were the Dillon 1000 would still be available and would cost most likely $4000.00. An indoor range owner I know in NJ uses a 1000 to load 45 ACP for the range. I wouldn't care to guess the numbers this machine has put out.

I don't think the 1050 Dillon is in the same class as the 1000 or a Star but they will give years of trouble free service. A loader here in WV uses several of them and is well satisfied. He's not the only one around either. I guess it is a shame the Stars and the 1000's are gone but time moves on. If it can't be done on a Dillon 1050, cheer up, there's always Camdex or the greatest of them all, the Ammoload.
Old September 10, 2004, 02:05 PM   #8
Paul Fitz Jones

Dillon's First Dealer

I was Dillons' First dealer and was waiting on a shipment of 6 Dillon RL1000 machines in .223. I had a call from unknown to me a Dillon employee who asked my recommendations for pistol calibers and I said Star as I had two years of ten progressives and 10 Lubers a month agreed on as the Top dealer for Star.

Dillon then called me personally and swore at me up one side and down the other and when the machines arrived they were already sold and I promptly shipped the sealed boxes. None of them would operate for even one crank of the handle and Dillon refused responsibility so my customers sued him and I have $500 (Wholesale) worth of RL100 parts sitting on my shelf to remind me of Dillon.

Anyone can make me an offer on the RL1000 parts.