The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 7, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

CCI Blazer Aluminum 38 Spcl +P "FBI" load

Just wondering If anybody has any specs, or actual chrony readings from this discontinud ammo. Especially from a snubbie.
I came into possession of a case (500 rounds) of this a while back for $6.50/ 50 rnd box. Actually two cases, but in a fit of generosity, I shared the find with a friend. I really just bought it for practice, and range busting with my Ruger GP 100. A couple weeks ago I bought a new Ruger LCR, and with the ammopocalypse, even 38 Spcl is hard to find. Especially a defense load.
This 158 gr LSWCHP +P ammo must have been discontinued a few years ago, and I can't find specs anywhere. Just wondering how close this stuff is to the loadings from other makers still available. I'll be giving it a try asap in my new LCR, and do my usual hundred or so round "shake down" with it. But If it shoots well, and hits to point of aim I might just use it for carry ammo when I want to add the Ruger to the CCW rotation.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 7, 2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Dave T

Didn't know Blazer offered the "FBI load". I've shot up a few boxes of their 158g FMJ +P 38 Special and to be honest it was kind of wimpy to me. Of course my standard load in the .357" chamberings is my hand load version of the old 38/44 round that pushed a 158g @ 1150 fps. That probably makes the Blazer +P 38 Specials I've shot seem weak.

Can't offer any other information but I'd say your friend is lucky you were willing to share a case with him. Find someone with a chronograph and report what results you get.

Dave
Old February 7, 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

It's not marked FBI load, don't know If any brand is. But it is 158 gr. LSWCHP +P which has commonly been called the FBI load.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 7, 2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Nanuk

It should be pretty close to any other +P 158 LSWC loading and give around 750 FPS from a snubbie.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5
alex0535

If this ammunition passes FBI Ballistic Test Protocol, this might give you a good frame of reference as to what this ammo should be capable of.

http://greent.com/40Page/general/fbitest.htm
Old February 8, 2013, 06:07 AM   #6
rrruger

Thanks alex0535!
It would cost a bit to work up the 'perfect' hand load, but this gives a basis for comparison.