The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
shrewd

Just picked up a 22/45, now what?

so I picked up a like new 22/45 mark III

The sights aren't very good, I'd like to replace them. At least maybe a narrower front post.

I hear removing the mag disconnect is awesome, so I'll look into that also.

This isn't going to be a competitive pistol or anything, just a training/plinking fun gun. I remember getting my first 10/22 and hearing about all the standard upgraded; tech sights, volquartsen stuff...

Just looking for pointers guys, google didn't really help
Old December 9, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2
blchandl2

Go shoot a brick of ammo and then learn how to take it down and reassemble.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
shrewd

haha, that'll be after a day or two of shooting!
Old December 9, 2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Pilot

Remove the mag disconnect, and remove the loaded chamber indicator, and replace with a blank. If you want a better trigger, a Volquartsen trigger kit can be installed relatively easily.

You can get more instruction at Rimfirecentral and Guntalk.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:49 PM   #5
chris in va

I had one a while back.

Consider one of those micro reflex sights. Turns a ho-hum plinker into something absurdly easy to shoot and a real joy to make cans dance with. Also, I think they still make that spiffy speedloader that zips ten rounds into the mag in a second.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
I had one a while back.

Consider one of those micro reflex sights. Turns a ho-hum plinker into something absurdly easy to shoot and a real joy to make cans dance with. Also, I think they still make that spiffy speedloader that zips ten rounds into the mag in a second.
Chris, can you post a link to where I would find those sights?

Here is a loader for Ruger MkII and Mk III magazines. Works like a champ. 22 rimfire cartridges flow into the magazine like water. Sometimes you should give it a squirt of dry-lube (silicone or something like it).

http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmy36qBIo_w

I bought several, gave one to a friend, sold a couple and kept one.

They give a price break if you buy six. I sold at the single unit price and managed to recoup the shipping and half the price of mine on the ones I sold.

Lost Sheep
Old December 10, 2012, 08:10 AM   #7
shrewd

ill definitely look into those mag loaders, thanks for the heads up.

I'm usually an iron sights sorta guy, and I'm thinking of replicating the ol' three do pattern on my carry and full size pistols

any ideas?
Old December 10, 2012, 09:14 AM   #8
pilpens

Front sight -- Look at Dawson Precision Fiber optic front sight.
The FO is small enough that it does not distract from target shooting but easy enough to acquire.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Take a trip over to rimfirecentral - you'll find lot's of ideas and help over there as well . . . .

As suggested - put some ammo through it first and get used to it. I bought a standard MK III target last year - I'm not really in to the mods that can be done - I enjoy mine just the way it came out of the box - accurate and have had no problems whatsoever with it. Enjoy the new Ruger!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 10, 2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Japle

The FO front sight is the way to go.

The nice thing about the 22/45 is all the ways you can trick them out.

Old December 10, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
solitude127

Watch many vidoes on how to break it down and put it back together.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:07 PM   #12
shrewd

thanks guys

I've heard these things are a pain to strip, and that it needs cleaning every thousand rounds or so. I'll put a few hundred rounds through it this week and get cracking

Wierd fact, I thought my model is the standard but it appears to be the target model. I thought the target had a v notch and a bead, but the front sight I'd a big wide post. Makes for a terrible sight picture.

fiber optic it is, I suppose

And new grips, 1911 style looks nice. I want a beefier grip similar to my cz75 if possible
Old December 11, 2012, 02:52 AM   #13
mrt949

JAPEL
Is that a older T.C .REAR SIGHT .verry inventive to say the least.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:59 PM   #14
L_Killkenny

Get rid of the mag disconnect, you might try a VQ sear (even though I had only modest improvement using one on mine) and then go shooting. You may not like the sights now but when used right those sights and similar are very accurate. I don't know what barrel length you bought but I will say that the rear notch is a bit narrower than I'd like on my 4.5" version. Need a little more light on each side and I may open it up with a file.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:22 PM   #15
scsov509

Quote:
I don't know what barrel length you bought but I will say that the rear notch is a bit narrower than I'd like on my 4.5" version. Need a little more light on each side and I may open it up with a file.
I had the same problem on mine, so I opened it up with a few stokes of the file and also turned the blade around backwards so it was a flat, unmarked surface. I like the blacked out rear with a green Dawson Precision front sight, it's a real winning combination.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:33 PM   #16
scsov509

Quote:
I've heard these things are a pain to strip, and that it needs cleaning every thousand rounds or so. I'll put a few hundred rounds through it this week and get cracking
The magazine disconnect is what makes stripping a pain. Remove that and it's a breeze, plus it will also improve your trigger quite a bit as well. I also think the slingshot mod is a must have. It's easy to complete and makes the bolt stop function like it should In the first place!
Old December 11, 2012, 03:57 PM   #17
L_Killkenny

Personally I see little if any need for the slingshot mod. There's this neat little lever/button on the side of your 22/45 that makes chambering a round a one hand operation.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:44 PM   #18
Japle

Quote:
Posted by mrt949:JAPLE,
Is that a older T.C .REAR SIGHT .verry inventive to say the least.
You nailed it!

I wanted a sight that would give me the longest sight radius I could get and a big blade. Digging around in the sight box, I found this sight from an early '80s Contender. It was designed for a slightly smaller diameter barrel, but it's real close and the screw holes lined up. I had to relieve (read: hog out) the underside of the sight so it would clear the Ruger's takedown pin.

It's just what I was looking for.

Old December 11, 2012, 06:34 PM   #19
scsov509

Quote:
Personally I see little if any need for the slingshot mod. There's this neat little lever/button on the side of your 22/45 that makes chambering a round a one hand operation.
I won't start a debate as to whether a slide stop should be used in this manner or not. Suffice to say if you do prescribe to the idea that a slide should be returned to battery via slingshotting, then the slingshot mod is needed if you want to use your 22/45 as a training gun.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:56 PM   #20
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by L KILLKENNY
Thats a quick way to waste the bolt stop lever. Its not a bolt release lever. It grinds off the face of the lever where it contacts the bolt. It will soon stop functioning and then the bolt wont hold back after emptying the magazine.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:44 PM   #21
L_Killkenny

Quote:
Thats a quick way to waste the bolt stop lever. Its not a bolt release lever. It grinds off the face of the lever where it contacts the bolt. It will soon stop functioning and then the bolt wont hold back after emptying the magazine.
Try tellin that to my MKII 22/45 with a 1000 or so mag changes. Or any other semi I've owned for that matter.

Quote:
and also turned the blade around backwards so it was a flat
I was thinkin the same thing but for the life of me I can't see how to get the sight blade out. Please elaborate?
Old December 11, 2012, 10:18 PM   #22
drail

I have two MK IIs purchased in 1990 that have been shot for years in competition and practice and the bolt stop on both of them still work just fine. I release the bolt with the stop. On the new models with the mag disco safety you will never know the full potential of these great guns until you remove the safety. It was not a great idea. Don't lube your magazines with anything. They need to be dry and clean. They will get extremely dirty from fouling blowing down into the mag lips. Learn how to disassemble and clean them. It ain't hard.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:30 PM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/

For all things rimfire... Here is my spot...

AWESOME TUTORIALS ON MODDING THE RUGERS!!!!
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/...81b5f2192d1d00

I sold mine due to the terminal "unforeseen circumstances" bug...

I still have my mag disconnect modified washer you will be making... I WILL have another .22/45...

I didn't remove the LCI "plug" from the barrel slot, I just un pinned the metal part from inside so it didn't have anything to contact the round...

Here is a thread I did on another forum that shows it is entirely possible to comfortable and confidently fully strip these pistols...
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; December 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:24 AM   #24
scsov509

Quote:
I was thinkin the same thing but for the life of me I can't see how to get the sight blade out. Please elaborate?
You've got to remove the windage screw, the insert a really small punch, toothpick, etc into the windage hole to compress the spring, and then the blade lifts out the top. The blade has a little dimple right in the middle of it on the bottom, so when you lift it out you'll have to line up that dimple with the corresponding notch in the top of the sight.

You'll also have to modify the blade then before you can reinstall it so that dimple will allow reverse installation. I just used a steel punch and and ball peen hammer to reverse the dimple, and then installation is a breeze. Another option some say works well, as an alternative to modding the blade, is to replace it with a V notch blade made by Ruger. I've not tried it, but it supposedly works well.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:34 AM   #25
BigTex308

Sweet shooting little guns.

Love mine.

Ike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2