The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old September 26, 2012, 09:44 PM   #51
jimbob86

Quote:
I wish they were in a dark color rather than gray.
Deer don't care what color they are, and couldn't tell if they did.

Just don't use any detergent with UV brighters in it ... not likely for wool, anyhow....
Old September 27, 2012, 04:43 AM   #52
HiBC

I would not get too wrapped up in the "camo" thing if you are trying not to spend a lot of money.Military clothes are of subdued,drab colors.They aren;t shiny.They will do fine.Being still and using your surroundings is more important than a camo pattern.Charcoal grey pants and a GI field jacket work pretty well standing in trees.

Outer pants about like the class "A" military dress pants or some good winter suit pants make a decent outer layer.They will be thin and light.Put the polypro long johns under.I have a pair of the German pants that are heavier,about like PolarFleece but wool.(BTW,polar fleece can be reasonably priced).If it gets windy,cheap nylon jogging pants worn over will stop wind.(not the sealed waterproof ones,you'll sweat)

Another excellent piece is the GI field jacket liner,the one that is about like a poncho liner.

If it is not wet out,the desert storm hooded parka is a nice shell,green/black checked night vision camo.They had a liner a little longer than a field jacket liner,I think.

All this stuff is pretty light,cheap,and packable.Swing it around over your head and you can get it near dry enough to wear.

Don't forget your hands and your head.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:09 PM   #53
FairWarning

I have to smirk a little when I see the price tags on some of the jackets/cold weather clothing at places like Ba$$ Pro Shop$. Must seem tempting if you don't want to bother doing research, but it is simply not necessary to spend a fortune on clothing.

There is no shortage of fine surplus military gear for SUPER cheap in surplus stores or on various gun/hunting websites, or even ebay and amazon. If you buy a Czech or Swedish or Russian parka for example, you are getting gear that has been well proven to perform in very cold environments. Nothing against Evil-Mart, uhhh, I mean Wal-Mart, but I like to have gear that is a bit more unique than what you see there.

I'll also vouch for LL Bean quality, but it's not necessary to spend that much to more than get the job done. And again, you can find LL Bean gear lightly used on ebay or amazon also. LL Bean tends to be on the expensive side, although I am very, very happy with my double front jeans (flat out cheap at $44!). They are right up there with Carhartt for toughness. If you are in a truly cold area, a thermal layer such as Underamor, then either a heavy flannel shirt or Norwegian style wool sweater and a slightly large (to allow layering) military style parka on the outside will stop almost anything. Just remember to protect your most vulnerable area, your head!
Old April 8, 2013, 01:51 AM   #54
JoeBeach

strange

What is so strange is that not one post answered the original question. Everyone just went on about this store or that. What are your recommendations for a BOOT not a store.
Old April 9, 2013, 09:10 AM   #55
Vermonter

Depends where you are.

I am not sure what part of virgina or what your climate is like.

For me in Vermont I will spend a premium on gear that I believe will keep me warmer and dry. This goes for camping, hunting, hiking, fishing, skiing, and working in the outdors. This is not snobbery so much as If I believe something is heads and tails better than the alternitave I will pay a bit more. I bargan shop and I tend to always get things on sale.

I don't obsess over all my camo matching but I want it comfertable and warm. Also to me I like technical clothing that keeps you warm with out adding so much bulk that you look like the pillsberry dough boy.

As for boots I have a pair of pack boots from cabelas and frankly I spent all last hunting season in a pair of camo colored knee high rubber boots that were completely water proof and are 1000 grams of insulation. Those and a pair of socks were perfect and allowed me to hunt some areas that I had not previously because of stream crossings.

Nothing wores than seeing a fella in a brown carhart jacket during deer season with no orange on BTW that is just asking for a bullet. Exceptions being if you are on your own land and expecting no other hunters. Even then I wear no brown during deer season.

Regards, Vermonter
Old April 9, 2013, 09:28 AM   #56
kraigwy

Just an observation, but I see more camouflage clothing at Walmart then I do out hunting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 9, 2013, 10:45 AM   #57
Vermonter

I think your correct

Kraig,
I beleive you are exactly correct. My point is that I don't want to see unsafe colors out there. That means brown during deer season and black during bear and turkey. Blaze orange is your friend and one of the el cheapo safety vests only costs $10.
Old April 10, 2013, 07:58 PM   #58
1hogfan83

Arkansas requires orange for all seasons except turkey so safety colors should be a given. Two things I might mention, someone may have already so forgive me if you have. Number one, rubber boots! Leather carries smell so bad, if your going to throw down $100 on boots, buy muck. They are very comfortable and do not smell bad after a while. Take all the showers you want, if what hits the ground stinks, nothing else matters. My hunting pants have adjustment string that drags the ground so I just dip them in fox urine. Number two, get a wool type fiber or something that doesn't sound like a WalMart bag in the dryer when you move. Two very important things, just think about it.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old January 4, 2018, 10:26 PM   #59
The_Alpha_Dog2017

If you're looking for cost effective upland hunting pants I would suggest getting Wranglers from Amazon. They'll hold up for 5-10 years if you treat them right (I just upgraded to Filson chaps after wearing Wranglers for 15 years) and you can typically get a pair for under $60.

They also come in a huge range of sizes, so you're almost guaranteed to find your size.
Old January 5, 2018, 12:59 AM   #60
Scorch

Quote:
But Wal-mart camo makes my butt look too big!
No, it's the donuts on the way out to your hunting area that do that.

I will echo what others have said. There is nothing specifically wrong with WalMart hunting gear, but you can do a lot better for not much more money. I buy wool sweaters from the Goodwill, wool pants from garage sales, but I wear good boots with wool socks and wool long johns and wool gloves and watch cap. Just keep your eye out for the good stuff. Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop may have some really cool gear, but you don't need most of it. $300 for an insulated camo snowsuit, or $40 for a gray 0 degree freezer suit from the work wear store. $400 for insulated boots imported from Germany or $150 for uninsulated GoreTex boots on closeout at MidwayUSA. $150 for insulated GoreTex gloves from Bass Pro Shop, or $25 for ragg wool gloves and a pair of $40 GoreTex mittens from the fisherman supply shop. Just know what you are looking at and what you need and you're gonna be OK.

And learn how to sit still or move slowly when you are in the woods.
Old January 5, 2018, 06:35 AM   #61
Eazyeach

I don't think the OP needs anymore advice. Pretty sure that hunt is over. Let sleeping threads lie.
Closed Thread