The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 24, 2012, 11:13 PM   #26
taylorce1

Quote:
According to the data I got from the gun shop you make the case from a 7mm rem mag,*Case PrepAnneal neck and shoulder area. F/L size in Ackley die with expander removed. Trim and Chamfer. I.D. may need neck reaming. F/L size and fireform in chamber
I would still do the chamber cast first and as suggested and send it along to whomever you order dies from to make sure the tolerances are close. Case annealing is kind of a PITA, so get a Hornady annealing kit to make your life easier. There are a few places that will anneal your brass as well but you'll probably need a minimum of 100 pieces.

I don't get the inside neck.reaming though you shouldn't need to do that if you are starting with 7mm RM brass and it should have the same ID. Watch the shoulder as Old Roper mentioned you'll needs to be careful not to crush it. I hope you get that old treasure up and shooting soon.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:06 AM   #27
Corrections Cop

Thanks Taylorce1
Old September 25, 2012, 10:16 AM   #28
old roper

Most Ackley's you blow the shoulder forward with the 7mm Ackley mag you moving the shoulder back and shorten neck and part of the new neck will be made up of the shoulders. that part of the new neck more than likely be thicker so inside reamer will be need needed.
NRA Life Member
Old September 25, 2012, 04:31 PM   #29
hooligan1

Like Taylorce1 said Nice rifle man!
Old September 25, 2012, 07:45 PM   #30
Corrections Cop

Thanks guys!
Old September 27, 2012, 10:59 PM   #31
Geezerbiker

If I had a rifle like that that was built by my grandfather, I'd consider it priceless.

Have a chamber cast done or do it yourself, it's not that hard and learn to reload. It's more than worth the effort for a fine rifle like that.

Tony
Old September 27, 2012, 11:20 PM   #32
Corrections Cop

Thanks Tony,

I think this winter I might try my hand at reloading, so hopefully in the spring I can take it out and shoot some rounds through it. The only thing that holds me up is the initial cost just to shoot it. I might also try and find a 7mm rem mag barrel, just another thought. I am very greatfull for all the advise that I have received from everyone on this topic.

Here is a better picture.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old September 30, 2012, 10:10 PM   #33
Corrections Cop

How hard would it be to change this into 7mm mauser? I found a barrel on midway usa.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:34 PM   #34
taylorce1

Quote:
How hard would it be to change this into 7mm mauser? I found a barrel on midway usa.
About as hard as changing it to .308 since it would require a new bolt, and possibly some other work as well to make it properly feed from the Magazine. 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win are really the best options for that rifle if you don't want to invest in reloading. What ever you decide to do is going to require you to invest a few hundred dollars to shoot your GGF's old rifle.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:04 AM   #35
Corrections Cop

Thanks Taylorce
Old October 1, 2012, 10:21 AM   #36
Nathan

This is a wonderful rifle made by your grandfather. I would learn to reload for it. A chamber cast would be a good first step because calibers like 7mm Ackley are often made by a variety of slightly different non-standard reamers. So, I would:

Get a chamber cast made.

RCBS either makes dies or made dies. Call them with your chamber cast, a set of calipers and discuss with their technician if your gun is a good fit to their dies? You're probably GTG, but maybe they need to remove material from the bottom of the die or something. They may ask you to send the cast in first.

Also, check out(call) Huntington Die Specialties they can help you get setup loading for this.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:11 PM   #37
Corrections Cop

Thanks Nathan
Old October 3, 2012, 01:52 PM   #38
kahrguy

You may also buy brass from qual-cart.com as they may have some one stock.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:33 AM   #39
texasyankee

Sizer Die for 7mm Ackley Improved Magnum

If you are still looking for a 7mm Ackley Improved Magnum full length sizer die, I just picked one up in trade. I thought it was a 7x57 Mauser Ackley Improved, which I've been Jonesin' for, but should have looked more closely.

RANDOM QUESTION: If the 7mm Ackley Improved Magnum can be fire-formed from 7mm Remington Magnum brass, how is it that a 7mm Rem has a capacity of around 83 grains, while the 7mm AI Mag seems to have a capacity of only 80 grains?
Old March 29, 2013, 07:00 PM   #40
Corrections Cop

PM sent.
Old March 30, 2013, 02:30 PM   #41
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasyankee
RANDOM QUESTION: If the 7mm Ackley Improved Magnum can be fire-formed from 7mm Remington Magnum brass, how is it that a 7mm Rem has a capacity of around 83 grains, while the 7mm AI Mag seems to have a capacity of only 80 grains?
Welcome to the forum.

If you read through the first page of this thread, post #17 in particular, you will see the 7 mm Ackley Magnum (AM) existed before the 7 mm Remington Magnum, and was originally formed from .300 H&H brass. Unlike the Ackley Improved (AI) series of chamberings, it did not have a parent cartridge you could just fireform to the larger AI size.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle