The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 12, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1
RugerGP100357

Purchasing FA parts

I'm planning to use M16 internals in my AR15 project.
At every website i find where they sell M16 parts it says: "All NFA rules apply" .
Does that mean i have to be a US citizen with a special form of licence?

Hope i dont
Old July 12, 2006, 11:46 AM   #2
shaggy

In the US, even possession of the M16 fire control components with an AR15 can be enough to get a felony conviction, but as you are outside of the US you face a different problem in obtaining those parts. Export of weapons, parts, and other items of military use are governed by ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) through the US Dept. of State. While I'm no expert on ITAR, I believe the manufacturer would first have to obtain an export permit to send you those parts; something I doubt they'd do for a small sale of just a few parts.
Old July 12, 2006, 03:35 PM   #3
MisterPX

You may want to check out ar15france.com for some answers, seeing as how they're a lot closer and would have more knowledge on European laws.
Old July 12, 2006, 08:05 PM   #4
RugerGP100357

Thanks for the answers, but i already know the law here in Norway: Everything exept barrels and receivers are toys for children.
Normal AR-15 parts are no problem when ordering from the US, i just press order and they turn up 2 weeks later.
But when i look up M16 parts its always big, red letters saying "all NFA rules apply!". Does this mean that I, as an civillian can't order these items without a special permit?
I found some cheap parts at ftf industries, anyone know anything about them?
Old July 12, 2006, 08:53 PM   #5
VUPDblue

Quote:
But when i look up M16 parts its always big, red letters saying "all NFA rules apply!". Does this mean that I, as an civillian can't order these items without a special permit?
The parts you are looking at are probably not RLL's or RDIAS's, just generic M16 parts. The disclaimer of "all NFA rules apply" is the seller(s) saying that they are not responsible for what you do with those parts. As long as they are not NFA items, you need no permits to buy them. Since you are in Norway, the NFA doesn't apply to you anyway.
Old July 12, 2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Thanks for the answers, but i already know the law here in Norway: Everything exept barrels and receivers are toys for children.
The problem isn't your laws, but our laws. M16s are military weapons in the US and exporting military parts falls under many different government groups.

The "NFA Rule Apply" has no meaning for you, so just order the parts and see what happens.
Old July 13, 2006, 07:27 AM   #7
RugerGP100357

Thanks for the help!
I'll try it out as soon as i get my hands on enough money.