The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 1999, 01:30 AM   #1
thaddeus

I know that I need to tumble my brass every few uses if not more, but just to get the surface grit off, can I wash my brass in water and let it dry well?

I can't afford a tumbler, so occasionally I have to go pay someone to do it. But, that is another area, I know that merely rinsing my brass does not do a good enough job overall, but it might get off the gritty stuff.

thanks,
thad
Old February 17, 1999, 02:54 AM   #2
Walt Welch

Thad; this is the third post in a row of yours that I have answered. Don't you have some studying to do??

Yes, you can wash your brass with water. It works even better if you use a 10% solution of citric acid (w/v), as was suggested to me by the NRA about 30 years ago.

Get Ni plated brass. It will stay cleaner. The Rem +P .45 ACP brass is the best on the market. Strong, and a good thick Ni plating.

When your friend tumbles your brass, you should have him throw in a few capfuls of Dillon Brass Polish. This will leave a protective coating on the brass, and also gets it cleaner more quickly.

Now, stop posting, and get studying. Walt