The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 14, 2014, 04:56 PM   #26
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
Are you referring to that bullet in '06 or .308?

Also, how, if at all, does the GG gas plug differ from the Schuster plug?

Thanks.
Both.

The plug from Garand gear is just basically an USGI plug that has been hollowed out. There is no adjustment no nothing, remove the stock plug, screw in Garand gear plug. The Schuster plug is adjustable so you have some ability to tune the gas system. The GG plug is kinda a simple one size fits all solution.

I reload for my Garand and run some commercial ammo through it but its Garand safe. Run the plug because like I said earlier the gun just doesn't beat itself to death anymore.

Last edited by sevt_chevelle; November 14, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old November 15, 2014, 09:03 AM   #27
agtman

Bart B. & Sevt, thanks for your replies.

On choosing the right plug, it sounds like the GG plug is the simpler way to go if it's already "pre-set" to regulate commercial-pressured .308 hunting loads.

Again, my cous' doesn't reload (too busy w/work, ... yadda, yadda) so he'll be grabbing something off the shelf in soft-point ammo for the hogs, and most likely it'll be a few boxes of this brand or that so he can test-fire a clip of each to see which gives best accuracy @ 100yds.

Thanks.