The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 25, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
11yroldgrandmother

fn browning 1922 clip disassembly?

I recently acquired an fn browning 1922 (t.c. subay turkish officer's model) chambered in .380. It's a great gun in great condition with almost all of the blued finish intact. I have field stripped and cleaned the gun (which internally looked as though it had not been cleaned since the '40's). I want to disassemble the clips for cleaning, but have been unable to find instructions for doing so on the internet. Can anyone offer a link to good clip disassembly instructions or videos? Thanks for your time.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

They don't come apart like most magazines made these days do. First you depress the follower all the way down. This can be done using bullets. Stop before you place the last round in the magazine. One of the witness holes (the bottom one should not have any brass visiable. Now take a small object like a 4 penny finishing nail and place it in the hole with the springs showing. It should be the one on the front side. You are trying to capture the spring near the top of the hole. It need to go all the way through the hole on the other side. Once done turn the magazine over and remove all the bullets. A small woodend block that is slightly smaller then the opening of the to magazine can also be used. to depress the spring. When the bullets or block are completely removed you will notice the follower is still on top of the spring inside. You have to then use an object through the hole below the follower to move the follower up to the top. The follower is more or less an L shaped piece of metal. Part of the L goes behind the spring to keep it from coming out. Once it is loose from the spring it will be easy enough to remove. To remove the spring you will need at least one or two more nails to place in the holes above the spring. You remove one nail at a time from the bottom and place it in a hole about the others in the holes. When you get the the nail in the last hole you need to cover the top with your thumb before pulling the last nail. The spring is still under tension and will go flying if you do not do this.

Remember when putting it back together the spring must be depressed enough for the follower to be easily slide into place above the spring. The last half loop of the spring goes to the front of the magazine. It will stick up higher on front side prior to being depressed. You must also make certain the to loop of the spring is under the front part of the magazine follower. Getting the spring back in only requires you to depress the spring to the second witness hole.

Edit:

I have a 7.65 mm 1922 and not a .380. I would not think the magazines would work any differently.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; December 25, 2012 at 07:03 PM.

Tags
1922 , 380 , browning , clip , fn browning