The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 14, 2014, 02:01 AM   #101
jason_iowa

Quote:
So which is it? Do you ignore the signs, or do you decline to enter a business that politely posted a sign for people?
I said if someone knew I was carrying and asked me not to come in. All the signs show is that someone wrote a policy. That being said places that I have to go into I go into. Stores that have anti gun policies don't get my business.
Old July 14, 2014, 11:09 AM   #102
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I rarely shop at Target, just die to their locations relative to my normal pattern of circulation. Since their request is only a "request," not a prohibition, and I carry concealed, I would not boycott target entirely over a wishy-washy statement of "request" intended to mollify the soccer moms.

However, if we are looking for reasons not to like Target, how about firing a long-term employee for ... doing his job?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...d=pm_local_pop

Security (loss control) guy sees TWO instances of shoplifting by the same guy. Follows his standard procedure and reports the thefts to the cops. Shoplifter turns out to be (a) a cop, and (b) a friend of the store manager. No charges against the shoplifter, but the employee was fired on a bogus rationalization.

Me no likey.
Old July 14, 2014, 11:25 AM   #103
Pahoo

Honorable intentions !!!

Quote:
Since their request is only a "request," not a prohibition, and I carry concealed, I would not boycott target entirely over a wishy-washy statement of "request" intended to mollify the soccer moms.
This pretty much represents my attitude. Target is not trying to offend anyone, including gun owners. I take no offense to these signs and since I have ADD, I don't take the time to read most. .....

Last week, I visited a small "private" gun store, out of town. They were late in opening as they had not gotten all their handguns and AR types out of the safe and on display. They also had a sign posting, requesting that no "loaded" guns were to be brought inside. Now that was a new one for me .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 14, 2014, 09:00 PM   #104
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Pahoo, I'd give odds that they were thinking of guns being brought in for repair, not the CHL folks.
Old July 15, 2014, 08:38 AM   #105
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
Pahoo, I'd give odds that they were thinking of guns being brought in for repair, not the CHL folks.
Art, I think you're wrong. The shop/range where I shoot has just such a sign at the entry door: "No Loaded Firearms Beyond this Point." I knoe the owner well. I also know that I don't unload my carry piece when I enter, nor does anyone else, and the owner knows that. The sign is to keep the insurance company happy. If anything happens, the insurance company's defense is that "He broke the rules, we can't be responsible for people who don't follow the rules."
Old July 15, 2014, 07:42 PM   #106
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, insurance. Hadn't thought of that.
Old July 16, 2014, 03:46 PM   #107
Koda94

Just down the road from my area, Targets gun request isnt working out as planned....
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Polic...=y&clmob=y&c=n

Whether its a request or a policy I'll never understand the logic of gun free zones.
Old July 16, 2014, 06:04 PM   #108
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Targets gun request isnt working out as planned.
Correlation doesn't equal causation. Barring a statement from the defendant that he chose Target due to their policy, we have no way of proving that.
Old July 16, 2014, 06:25 PM   #109
Koda94

I understand that

My bad, after 5 pages of thread I may have temporarily lost sight of the original subject, that Target released their request in response to open carriers.

Its too bad that Target views guns in their stores as not creating the appropriate atmosphere but its really no surprise. I wonder if society would view shopping with guns differently if only holstered pistols were open carried while shopping?