The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 24, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
TomL

9mm Makarov

Can someone bring me up top speed on these handguns? I found some info stating Russian issue and 9x18 not 9x19 Parabellum/Lugar. What also might one be valued at as for selling/buying. Tom
Old April 24, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
lee n. field

Read your fill at makarov.com.

9MM Makarov is a 9x18 round, and slightly fatter than a 9x19 (aka 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum). Also to be distinguished from 9x17 Kurtz, Corto or Browning, all synonyms for the .380.

There is no cross compatibility.

I don't have a handle on what they go for now. Back in the day, I have paid anywhere from $100 to $179. Some variants (East German, Russian milsurp) are more prized, others (Russian commercial Baikal, Bulgarian milsurp) less. All will shoot well.

Some of the Baikal Russians, and "Arsenal" brand Makarovs came in .380.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 24, 2013, 07:05 PM   #3
hodaka

Lee's comments are correct. They are well known for reliability and accuracy although the stock sights are pretty bad. The ammo was once cheap but not any more. Slim and reliable. Good concealed carry pieces, in my opinion. Going rates for the EG's are above $400 these days.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
qwiksdraw

The average price for a Makarov that will be a shooter is about $300 - $350, usually a Russian or Bulgarian. Collector models go for much more.

Ammo is real hard to find right now and prices are all over the place, Before the panic it was easy to find 9X18 ammo from $10 - $15.

You can find lots of knowledgeable Makarov owners at: http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...-Makarov-Forum

My Russian Commercial (has adjustable rear sight)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 24, 2013, 07:16 PM   #5
GyMac

The Makarov is one of my favorite handguns. I find it to be very accurate, completely reliable, and very handsome. Despite newer, more advanced designs, I prefer it for carrying. Just my opinion. Someday, I hope to be able to buy more ammo.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Ricklin

Starline has 9X18 brass for the handloader. Berrys has 1 or 2 different 9mm Mak bullets. One can also cut down 9X19 with a case trimmer. The case is the same as 9mm parabellum, just 1 mm shorter, the bullet is a little fatter.

The cases last a long time, as long as you can find the darn things.

Used to be lots of cheap 9mm Mak ammo, not so much these days. I've always been a fan of the 9X18. A little hotter than .380, and cheap, rugged handguns. The CZ82 is really a gem. Has the best DA trigger I have ever experienced on a milsurp pistol.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
buffalo

Not a actuall Makarov but i have a few P64's that are 9x18 and they are great little guns,you can still get them for under $250 in excellent condition. I find myself carrying one alot due to them being so slim and easy to conceal.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Mausermolt

i love the heck out of my Mak. its a Bulgarian model, and ill never sell it. never jammed, shoots strait, looks good, triggers not bad. whats not to like?!
Old April 24, 2013, 08:22 PM   #9
triggerhappy2006

Quote:
There is no cross compatibility.
I'd beg to differ, I have successfully fired 380 out of a 9X18 chambered p64 with no cycling or feeding issues, and I know quite of few third world country "freedom fighters" who have used .380 in 9X18 guns because its easier to get from supporting countries.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:57 PM   #10
pelo801

Yes you may fire a 380 out of 9 x 18 chambered gun but accuracy would most likely be poor. The bullet diameter difference and all. 380=.356 dia. 9 x 18=.364 dia. But when lee mentioned no cross compatibility, I'm sure he was referring to 9 x 19 not chambering in a 9 x 18 gun. Which would be very foolish. Pressure difference and all. As far as value for makarovs, you can still find Bulgarian and commercial Russian ones for $250-350, East German ones for $350-450, Chinese ones for $500-ish, and Russian military for $500 +. I think they're cool guns, sights are tiny, but they can still be shot far more accurate than you might think. Ammo is usually right around the price of 9 x 19. Reloading is good, I've been using 3 grs of red dot for about 1000 fps. The brass will eject into the next county though.
Old April 25, 2013, 01:50 AM   #11
Mosin44az

One thing I would mention is that these Makarov types were not very ergonomic designs, and can be painful to shoot in stock form. Blowback designs kick alot more than they should for their power level.

This can be remedied significantly or mostly by changing the recoil springs to a slightly heavier weight ( as on my late, but lamented, CZ 82), and heavy triggers ( I have read) can be similarly ameliorated by lighter springs. Wolff Gunsprings is your friend for this.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Pilot

While I do not find Makarovs painful or difficult to shoot, Pearce grips do make them more comfortable, and very easy to shoot long range sessions. I don't use them anymore because I do carry my Maks occasionally and prefer the slimmer, stock grip. Again, they don't hurt when I shoot them.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:21 AM   #13
twhidd

9mm Makarov

I've never found any of my Makarovs painful to shoot. They are quite fun to shoot actually.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:47 AM   #14
BoogieMan

Guy at my LGS loves them, he has several that are east german made. Bought his prior to the curtain drop for $600+-. Gunbroker is a good place to get some price idea before dropping a buck on one. I just bought a New FEG PA63 ($219 OTD). Chambered in Mak but its actually an improved variant of a Walther PP. Wolf springs make it a pleasure to fire, grip fits my hand like it was made for me. They are small and DA great for carry.
Ball ammo runs about $24 for 50 around my area, Hornady Critical defense is $22 at Gander Mountain for 25.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 25, 2013, 09:29 AM   #15
EdInk

The big appeal a few years ago was you could buy them pretty cheap (under $250) and ammo was abundant and cheap too. Most of the surplus ammo is gone (so it's not really cheap anymore) and currently the pistols are going for over $325.
Old April 25, 2013, 11:39 AM   #16
BigJimP

I don't see the attraction....especially at around $ 400....when you have so many other options in 9mm.

I think they have more of a collector / cult following --- than a practical following....( not that I don't own a number of guns that are impractical for carry ) while they're still fun to have ....if ammo is hard to come by ...and ergonomically, they leave something to be desired...I pass on them.

To me, the Makarov....and the Japanese Nambu pistol ( 8mm 8X22) are both just odd ball weapons...but they sell a lot of both at my local gunshows... ( but even the Edsel, had its fans )...
Old April 25, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
qwiksdraw

Quote:
To me, the Makarov....and the Japanese Nambu pistol ( 8mm 8X22) are both just odd ball weapons
These two guns aren't anywhere near the same universe of guns. You really need to hold one and shoot a Maakrov. While Nambus are in safes, display cases and museums, the Maks are still out there shooting, and doing a fine job at that!

As for ergonomics, come on! Ever read how many people complain about the feel of 1911s or Glocks? That's an individual issue, but you will read most people find the Mak feels good in the hand and is easy to shoot. That and you can hardly do anything that will break them.

The Russians got this gun right for its original purpose and design.
Old April 25, 2013, 01:32 PM   #18
BigJimP

Ok, maybe its just my mood today ....

....I'm probably just being insensitive...( but then I don't like Glocks either )....
------------------
and I am going to the range later today with one of my 1911's...( in 9mm).
Old April 25, 2013, 02:49 PM   #19
UZO

Makarovs are a very basic, solid, accurate pistol. Have been around since the early 1950's and were primarily used by Russian Military and Police until 1991.
MAKs rep has always been for simplicity (about 20+ parts), accuracy and their durability.
Was able to buy one a couple weeks ago for about $300... it was in VG+ condition, had some holster wear but never really shot much.
Took it to the range last week (along with my CZ-82)... and love it! Flawless, very accurate shoot. Actually has a 'slimmer' feel compared to the CZ.
Agree with BigJim... unless you really consider this a 'must have' pistol and it's in like-new condition, I doubt I'd spend $400 for one!!
Supposedly, the East German and Bulgarian Maks are the one's to buy. Keep lookin' around, they usually turn up in the $300 range.
They ARE nice, sweet little pistols and could be a good CCW pistol!!

Last edited by UZO; April 25, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:00 PM   #20
Pilot

I have four Makarovs. Bought them all several years ago when you could pick them up for $100 - $150, even the East German which is the best finished of the bunch. I think the Bulgarians are the best value, followed by the Russian Commercial models with the adjustable sights.

I think a fair price for a Bulgie Mak to be $250 - $300, and at that price they are definitely worth it. I think the Russian Commercial models are going for that as well.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
Doyle

Quote:
Supposedly, the East German and Bulgarian Maks are the one's to buy
It depends on what you want. Bulgarian and Russian Milspec are about equal in fit and finish/value. East German models are normally a little better finished and sell for more. Chinese (Norinco) have the worst fit and finish but command high prices for pieces in prime condition simply becuase of rarity. Best of all are the post-unification German pieces. Those are called Simson Suhl models. In addition to the better fit and finish of the East German pieces, they also have a modified safety. Normal Maks can't rack the slide with the safety on. With a Simson Suhl model (or one that has been converted using 3 aftermarket parts) you can rack the slide with the safety on. These post-unification pieces sell for a distinct premium.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:19 PM   #22
UZO

Yes Pilot... those were the days!!
Getting MAKs for $200... '82s for $200.. and SIG P6s for $200!
As they say... "Those days are gone forever!!"
Old April 25, 2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Pilot

Yeah UZO got them all make in the mid to late 90's. Lots of other Combloc and other surplus stuff too for very inexpensive prices. Those days ARE gone.

Here's another score that gets my shooting friends jealous. $90 Russian SKS's. I bought two of them, and still have them. I should have bought a few crates of them.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:31 PM   #24
UZO

Stop PILOT... you're killin' me!!!
Old April 25, 2013, 04:28 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
One thing I would mention is that these Makarov types were not very ergonomic designs, and can be painful to shoot in stock form. Blowback designs kick alot more than they should for their power level.
Non of my 9X18 Mak chambered guns, EG Mak, P64, or CZ82 even approach "uncomfortable" to shoot. Far from anywhere near painful. Actually quite pleasant to shoot. Not only accurate, but a lot of fun at that.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!