The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Flapjack23

How do you transport yours?

I've got a Citori on the way for Christmas, bought a decent soft sided case for it. While I was at the store looking for the case (got a Boyt that fits it nice), the saleswoman suggested that most people use a hard side breakdown case to transport their O/U. I mostly hunt, not shoot skeet. How do the hunters here transport theirs, in a soft/hard case assembled, or disassemble and put in a breakdown case?

Thanks,

Andy
Old December 21, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2
PetahW

I've found that the vehicle space available makes the difference, along with the hunter's druthers.

A long/padded soft case, like a Boyt, allows the gun to be transported whole, allowing E-Z withdrawal for use w/o assembly and attendant wear from constant assembly/disassembly.

The luggage case is much more compact for stowage, usuallu a bit longer then the barrels, and makes a nice presentation for showing the gun - but the disassembled gun requires a longer process to get ready, each/every time, which might be a PITA after awhile.

YMMV.

I have quite a few different guns I use, so a take-down case ( I like/use a leg-o-mutton ) works for me because I may use any one gun only a few times each season.

Old December 21, 2011, 11:09 AM   #3
oregunner

Just don't store it in a soft case. The gun needs to breathe. I use silicone gun socks before they go in the safe. It keeps them from getting dinged up.
Mark
Old December 21, 2011, 11:31 AM   #4
BigJimP

In and out of a vehicle - I use a hard sided take down case ...and Browning has a lot of options / I like their hard sided cases. If you have 4 guys and 6 or 8 guns ...the shorter hard sided cases are easier to handle in a SUV. The soft sided cases - where guns are assembled / and full length are a little tougher to transport in a car or even an SUV because of the length.

In and out of a blind / or a boat to and from the blind --- I've always used a soft sided case with the gun assembled.

So for hunting / I generally have both.

To and from the clays ranges ...I use a hard sided breakdown case.
Old December 21, 2011, 01:18 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Jim raises a valid point, which is how much space is in your vehicle and how much space the case will take. Unless space is an issue, the Boyt is supposed to be a great case. I am between going with a signature Boyt or a Browning hard case and it will be 100% for clays. One perspective is that some don't like having to assemble a gun when they get to the range which is why one shooter uses a Boyt non-take down case for transporting his K gun to the range.
Old December 21, 2011, 02:22 PM   #6
oneounceload

For long trip where I am carrying it in and out of hotels, lots of things in the back to bump it, I use a hard case (breakdown); but for a trip to the club, a sleeve is all I use
Old December 21, 2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Flapjack23

Very good points on trips and space...I think I should look at a hard sided case also. Even a hard take down case to and from "camp" and the soft Boyt while hunting. Never thought of some of the harm I could do even going in and out of a hotel or cabin while unloading.

Thanks,

Andy
Old December 21, 2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Flapjack23

oregunner, I like the sock in the safe idea. Never had a nice gun, I'm going to get a few so it doesn't get banged up.
Old December 21, 2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Pahoo

One size does not fit all !!!

Generally the nicer/expensive shotguns, needs more protection. however, well padded soft cases are more suitable for most hunting shotguns. Hard cases tend to take up more room than they deserve but that is how they are built. Personally, I don't like the idea of having to disassemble and reassemble my shotgun and in the field, could pose a safety problem. ....

I know a guy that hunts with a Browning douible 20, that has some engraving and beautiful wood and it's always in a soft padded case.
One common problem is that that folks don't pay attention to the length of their guns and just buy what they feel shoudl fit. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 21, 2011, 07:12 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

Whatever you get, make sure it fits. Often a 48" case is to short for a gun even if it is not quite 48". Take into account extended chokes if you use them.