The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2011, 02:20 AM   #1
skeeter

Question on which gas piston to use on FN SLP

My new FN SLP comes with two gas pistons, one for 12ga rounds with shot heavier than 1 1/2 ounces and the other for anything less than that.
What should I use for Remington 00 or 000 buck in magnum and non magnum? Remington did not answer my e-mail on the weight of these rounds.

Most of my magnum slugs are only 1 oz or 1 1/4 oz and since they kick a lot I can not see how it would be OK to use the lightegas piston. Do they even make a 12ga slug over 1 1/2 oz?
Old December 20, 2011, 03:20 AM   #2
TheKlawMan

I don't know if you should be confusing "shot" with "slugs". I doubt that you need the heavy piston for 2-3/4" shells and suspect it is only needed for 3", but wair for someone that knows to tell you what to do.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; December 20, 2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old December 20, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Orphanedcowboy

Good rule of thumb, go heavy first, if it cycles you are good, if not go light. I have found with my new SLP 18", what works for one brand doesn't necessarily work for another.

The piston is controlling bolt speed, I have been using a SRM sealed SX-2 field piston in mine with no ill effects, so I will be installing the entire system and having Jeff make me a 2 round plug so I can take it duck hunting once for giggles. I bought the 28" barrel for it.as well, so I can shoot sporting clays and hunt with it during conservation season.

Last edited by Orphanedcowboy; December 20, 2011 at 03:46 PM.