The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 23, 2010, 07:18 PM   #1
sandw3844

Problems with log-in, etc.

Anybody had any trouble with the log-in? Let me explain. I log-in, it greets me, etc. just like it should do. And then when I try to do a search, or make a post, when that new screen comes up, I am no longer logged in, so I have to log-in again. This can go on for several minutes before it allows me to post anything, or do a search without loosing my log-in (which means that I have to re-enter my user name and password and start all over, etc.). It just started this in the last week or less. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Old September 23, 2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Sefner

There is a board for technical support: http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

But, you probably don't have cookies enabled on your web browser. This is in your settings.

Last edited by Sefner; September 23, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old September 23, 2010, 07:27 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sefner... The tech section evaporated for some reason...
Brent
Old September 23, 2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Sefner

It's still there. I edited my previous post to include the link: http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Old September 23, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

sandw3844 - As Sefner indicated, your problem sure sounds like a cookie problem or maybe a browser problem.

Try deleting all of your TFL cookies (there may be more than one). If you don't find any cookies, than that's your problem. If you do, logout of TFL after deleting them, and log back in. It you still get the problem, copy the complete address of the page from your browser's address line and paste it here so we can take a look at it.

If you are using the AOL native browser to access TFL - don't. It is notorious for causing problems exactly like that.
Old September 24, 2010, 02:34 AM   #6
sandw3844

Thanks to all for the input and information. I will see how it goes. It seems to be working better after I clicked on the "remember me" button.
Old September 24, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

Strongly recommend you avoid the AOL browser, and IE7 while you're at it -- either upgrade to ie8 or use chrome (or firefox). They really are better technologically, and they're kept more up-to-date with security updates. Microsoft's patching schedule is best described as sloth-like.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)