The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 7, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1
.50cal packer

Arisaka 99

Was wondering what a good price would be for an Arisaka type 99 with mum intact? I enjoy the long C and R's, and this gun captured my fancy since I saw one online. However, they have either been cut down, or mums have all or most of it has been removed. If it were possible to find one with the mum and not chopped up, what would it fetch? By the way, I know why the mums where ground off, but I also know, that some weren't.
Thanks

Last edited by .50cal packer; February 7, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
chiefr

I picked up a nice one at a gun show with the mum & monopod in exc condition for $300. Arisakas are common at gunshows. The highest price ones I have seen are around $400 have mums and are in VGC.
Rule of thumb seems to be if the mum intact, it will bring + $50 to $100 depending on overall condition.
There are many 99s with ground mums & great bores around if you want a shooter.
There are many 99s & 38s on the auction sites, however IMHO most are way overpriced.
The takedowns and the T44s are rare & will cost more.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:58 PM   #3
tahunua001

I have a t99 with the mum ground off but the monopod, bayonet, and AA sights are still intact. I got it in trade but I'm pretty happy with the roughly $400 I spent for it. good deal for just the rifle with mum intact would probably be around $350 or so.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

With the Type 99 price can be effected by what series and manufacturing plant the rifle came from. Bi-pod, AC sights, bolt cover, muzzle cover, all can have influence on price.

A fully original early Type 99 with all the issued parts can be near 1K. Most are $200-400. I'm under $300 in this.

This 99 is from Nagoya Arsenal, a series 5 with original Urushi finish on wood. It has the mono pod, aircraft sights, mum is ground, Sling, bolt cover and muzzle cover are repro.

Type 30 bayonet made by Matshusita National Denki, they have evolved into the present-day Panasonic Corporation.

Old February 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Tikirocker

Might as well bung mine up ... 23 Series, Type 99 Kokura; Australian battle capture bring back. Mum is intact, has bipod, AA sights, cleaning rod and dust cover - bolt is a mismatch but that's normal for a battle capture bring back since bolts went in one pile and rifles in another. Bore is excellent and bayonet is a rare variant Type 30 Kokura. I've keept mine in the exact condition she was found in ... WW2 time capsule.

Tiki.

Last edited by Tikirocker; February 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM.