The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1
M14

L'il Gun .22 Hornet data

I consider myself a conservative reloader but I had an incident that shook my confidence recently. I just started loading for a Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet. I was using L'il Gun & had only source of load data (a Hodgdon loading pamphlet). I was using the exact components (except my primers were small pistol not small rifle) as in the ;oad listed. Their max load of 13.0 grains with a 45 gr. bullet listed a pressure well under max for the Hornet. A search of the internet showed others using this load & even a load of 13.5 grains gave mild pressure according to the author. I loaded up some cartridges without starting lower. To say that I had high pressures signs is an understatement. I later looked at a Nosler manual & 12.5 grains was their max. Just wanted to pass this along.

Last edited by M14; December 31, 2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old December 31, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2
singleshot

Can you think of how many things you did wrong?

In a case as small as the Hornet 0.5 gr. can be a big deal so not only did you not work up you exceeded the maximum load published by the manufacturer.

But the real problem was using pistol primers when rifle primers are called for. The cups of pistol primers are almost always thinner so a load that might not flatten rifle primers could make pistol primers look real bad. You're lucky you didn't get a faceful of gas.
Old December 31, 2006, 02:31 PM   #3
M14

I didn't use the 13.5 grain charge. I loaded 13.0 grains. 13.0 grains completely filled a Wichester case. The fellow who loaded 13.5 used a drop tube. I assumed that because the 13.0 charge was ~ 11,000 cups under the SAAMI standard that the constraining factor was case capacity.
Old January 1, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4
DWARREN123

It was most probably using a pistol primer in a rifle case, as stated pistol primers are softer.
Old January 3, 2007, 09:13 AM   #5
MADISON

Pistol primers in 22 Hornet?

The only time I load PISTOL PRIMERS in 22 Hornet is when I'm loading 4.1 grains of UNIQUE. That is my low noise, low velocity city load.
Old January 4, 2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Tom Matiska

You may be interested in the supplemental data for Speers new 33TNT published on their website

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/Rel...A/22h33tnt.pdf

Note that it calls for PISTOL primers. Seems we are starting to rediscover what many vintage reloaders knew years ago. Note also the starting loads for L'il gun are compressed, and other powders are pretty warm also. Speer seems to think the pistol primers are up to the task.
Old January 4, 2007, 04:52 PM   #7
M14

Yea, I think a lot of vintage (spelled O-L-D) reloaders do use pistol primers in the Hornet. Rifle primers would have held up better, but the 13.0 grain load was definitely over pressure in my gun.

I have at least 6 loading manuals but they were all printed before L'il Gun hit the scene. I usually look at all of them before deciding on a new load. It was pure stupidity on my part to start with the 13.0 grain load.