The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1
tahitian.tedgrace

?Best grips for 642 revolver?

I am trying to find the best grips for my new S&W 642. What is available and is there any real advantage to change the original grips that came with the new gun? They seem to be plastic but might be rubber, I'm not sure which.Is it just the way it fits the hand or is there more to it. A "Newbie" looking for answers!
Old September 18, 2012, 04:28 AM   #2
engineer88

My personal favorite after buying no less than 10-12 different grips over the years, are the Pachmeyr Compacs. They make a "decelerator" that is a bit bigger (not good for pocket carry, but fine for belt carry) that covers the backstrap if you need the extra cushion. I do not and prefer the smaller grip personally.

The compacs do not have finger grooves and adapt to different hand sizes better due to that. Good luck in your search, the great thing about revolvers is you have no shortage of options as far as grips go. :-)
Old September 18, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
2damnold4this

Quote:
Is it just the way it fits the hand or is there more to it?
As Engineer88 mentioned, some grips are better for different carry methods. A lot of people like smooth grips made of wood or hard plastic for pocket carry. Others may prefer sticky rubber grips for a better purchase on the gun when shooting. Some grips have built in lasers. Lots of choices out there and I don't have it figured out yet.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Flintstone

I have the DeSantis clip grips on my 642 & 442 & love them. You can holster or just use the clip on your belt. An unexpected bonus for me was the fact that it sets my finger on a perfect angle to press the trigger--works for me.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:57 AM   #5
pete2

I left the std. grips on mine because I sometimes carry in my pocket. They are not the best for shooting, something a little larger would be better.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:02 AM   #6
dab102999

Have you shot the gun much and how does it feel now??. The reason I ask that is when I bought a 638 for the wife a lot of different sorces (friends, internet, yada yada) said that shooting it a lot would make the hand hurt. So I bought a Hoage grip for it that covered the back strap. Now that is a comfortable grip but also adds some size to the gun for concelment. But when the wife and I shot +P loads thru the gun with the factory grip on it neither one of us thought the gun was uncomfortable or painfull at all. And we shot about 50+ rounds thru it. But as others have said there are lots of grips out there and it is pretty much what you like the look and feel of. We are in the process now of getting our CPL license but once we do I will put he hoage grip on when using the OWB type holster and factory grips on it when using IWB type holster.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Dragline45

I actually like the Uncle Mikes Boot Grips that used to come on the J frames, they fit my hand perfectly and help with recoil.

Quote:
I have the DeSantis clip grips on my 642 & 442 & love them. You can holster or just use the clip on your belt. An unexpected bonus for me was the fact that it sets my finger on a perfect angle to press the trigger--works for me.
I use them too and they really make carrying very easy, but if they were just a tiny bit thicker it would fill my hand better. I still recommend them though.

Last edited by Dragline45; September 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old September 18, 2012, 03:16 PM   #8
3o3brit

The most comfortable ones I have used are Pachmayr compacts.
They make the j frame a very different gun to shoot. I can fire +P rounds in my 442 with no discomfort.
I got mine from here
http://northridgeinc.com/store/index.cfm/c169/i1146
Very best price on the internet and quick shipping.
Old September 18, 2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Super Sneaky Steve

Get some Crimson Trace grips. You'll never see that front post in the dark.