The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 2, 2006, 01:05 AM   #1
silicon wolverine

Noob to BP shooting

What do i need to start shooting a percussion .50 pistol? I got a line on one and i want to know how much other stuff ill need to buy. Never been around BP before but i have some spare cash and id like to try it out. I can cast my own bullets but im clueless elsewyas. TIA for the help.

SW
Old May 2, 2006, 05:41 AM   #2
sundance44s

sundance44s

Look around for whats called a starter kit ..that would be the cheapest way to start .. if not you`ll need a lot .. ballstarter ..ballpatches ..caps..nipple wrench ..lube..cleaning patches ..powder ..powder flask .. balls .. powder measure ... its a list ..
Old May 2, 2006, 06:37 AM   #3
silicon wolverine

Ok i found a bunch but it looks to me like theyre all for rifles. Sabot bullets etc. Also can you use premeasured pellets in a .50 pistol?

SW
Old May 2, 2006, 06:56 AM   #4
mec

You need .490 -495 balls, patches propellent, caps and a powder measure. You'll probably want something to grease the patches -crisco works very well. Loads for the lyman plains pistol can be used with any 50 or 54 as the case may be and they are published in the lyman black powder loading book. Good sources include Dixie Gun Works, Cabelas, Midway Arms and a few other mail order companies.
Materials you find in local retail stores are probably going to be strongly tilted toward modern muzzle loaders that the deer hunters use so they can hunt in various "Primative" seasons.

Last edited by mec; May 11, 2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:46 AM   #5
silicon wolverine

Yeah tell me about it. I told one of the guys at work i was thinking of buying a ML pistol and he asked me "Why? the only ML you should ever need would be an in-line". jerk. On to more dumb questions. Can i use the saboted bullets and preformed powder pellets in pistols? Or do i have to use pyrodex etc. Good info thanks guys

SW
Old May 2, 2006, 08:01 AM   #6
mec

I've never tried the sabots but seem to recall somebody saying he had gotten good results with them. I've used Lee REAL bullets and something heavier put out by Hornady. They were accurate.

You can find accurate and consistent loads with black powder,pyrodex or H777. The latter is a bit finicky in revolvers but I've had good luck with it in single shots and less than maximum charges. a 20 gran/vol measure of 777 gets me about the same velocity as 30 with Pyrodex.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:34 AM   #7
wgr

black powder pistol

i dont know were you live but if your close to one of the black powder meets like friendship then you can find everything you need and get help doing it you can look up the area meets through the NMLRA and if your handy with your hands you can make alot of what you need your self hope this helps
Old May 2, 2006, 10:04 PM   #8
silicon wolverine

thakd guys i really appreciate the info. Still dealing on the gun but this looks like something i could get into pretty easily.

SW