The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 12:58 PM   #26
Yankee Traveler

Hats off to Mr.Hunt!!!

If more Vermont politicians had acted like that, maybe I wouldn't live in Tennessee now.

Pro's and Con's to everything. I'm glad I'm here.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:03 PM   #27
Wyoredman

MedicineBow,

The wind isn't blowing, the air is just rearranging itself!

Please don't bring the Broncos into this!

I wish they would have allowed HB105 out of committee in the Senate. The House did pass it, overwhelmingly. The Senate never had a chance for an up/down vote.

I do get upset with the "We need to change things..." attitude. Oh, well.

And PLEASE leave the Broncos out of this!

Enjoy the weather, Wyoredman!
Old February 15, 2013, 01:08 PM   #28
Grizz12

Hunt is right and I wish others in congress would grow a "pair" and make the same stand.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:09 PM   #29
HiBC

Wyoredman

Honest,good effort on your part.

I have written my Congressman,Senator,and Governor before when they were obviously on the other side of the fence from me.You see,unfortunately,in Colorado,way too darn many people moved in here from other places and were successful in changing Colorado to be like where they left.

They always send me back a politically correct carefully crafted letter that will meet all the expectations of the folks here who don't like what Rep Hunt wrote.

They do it like you did,Wyoredman,in a nice way,they tell me "No,we have no respect for any of that,you do not matter,we will do it our way,to bad for you"

These are the people who have no respect for our Founders,our heritage,our Constitution,or our Liberty.

Right now,these sort are in the process of "fundamentally changing"(destroying)A free and great nation and economy.

I hope we can dump the androgenous invertabrates that are betraying and failing us,and find more like Hunt.

I'd take him for speaker of the house in a heartbeat.

Wyoming is still what America used to be.

Come on 2014!!We have work to do.

Last edited by HiBC; February 15, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:18 PM   #30
KMAX

Maybe he should have been a little more politically correct, but not much. I think all too often politicians and others in positions of responsibility are too PC and end up sugar coating their speech or correspondence so much that it ends up saying nothing more than blah, blah, blah. I appreciate his sentiments and wish more politicians would be more direct.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 15, 2013, 01:37 PM   #31
horatioo

i would rather get a letter telling me what the politician believes then get a form letter telling me something that hardly anyone disagrees with, but wasnt what I asked about.

Good for Mr Hunt. Good for clear speech stating a belief.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:26 PM   #32
Strafer Gott

I see right through you Chris. You don't want her back! Next time run them North! http://thefiringline.com/forums/imag...es/biggrin.gif
Old February 15, 2013, 06:13 PM   #33
Joe_Pike

Great letter. And, when the mass exodus begins, will you tell those poor folks that we don't want them in Missouri, either. I'm sure Kalifornia and New York would welcome them with open arms.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:18 PM   #34
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioo
i would rather get a letter telling me what the politician believes then get a form letter telling me something that hardly anyone disagrees with, but wasnt what I asked about.
That's exactly why I liked his letter. There's this wall between respresentatives and the electorate now. Responses read like press releases from a PR firm. Honesty, even unpleasant honesty, is always, always preferable, and incredibly rare from a politician.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #35
thallub

Quote:
Great letter. And, when the mass exodus begins, will you tell those poor folks that we don't want them in Missouri, either.
We don't want them in OK either.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:08 PM   #36
WyMark

I disagree with her letter, but I like Hunt's even less. I agree 100% with MedicneBow. If this clown Hunt is just too stupid and immature to write a letter to a constituent then maybe he could pay Wyoredman to write one for him (nice job). For that matter there are thousands of high school kids in Wyoming that could do a much better job for free.

Hunt is an embarrassment to our state, and even though I disagree with the preacher I think I much prefer to have her and her family as a neighbor than him.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:37 PM   #37
Dr Big Bird PhD

I agree with his stance even though I disagree with how he manufactured the letter.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 15, 2013, 07:49 PM   #38
timn8er

"We don't want them in OK either."

You got that right!
Old February 15, 2013, 08:18 PM   #39
therealdeal

I don't see ANY problem with his response. The letter as out of line, so he chose to give an honest, blunt response(as he initially noted). He doesn't seem like the most articulate writer, but he seems to be getting the job done in life&career.

cheers

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old February 15, 2013, 11:07 PM   #40
Buford_Tannen

Medicine, I disgree with your stance.

Yes, the response was blunt. But if the the Wyominian(?) was moving to Virginia and wrote the letter asking the politician to support guns in schools, the politician might write a nice letter back but have no intention of supporting this.

At least this politician was HONEST. A trait sorely lacking in politicians today. I will take the one that says no to my face versus the one that smiles, tells me what I want to hear and then stabs me in the back when I am not looking.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:37 AM   #41
kraigwy

I just spent the evening at a Jr Rodeo Fund raiser. The conversation was about Hunt's response.

Contrary to what many here think, the people of Weston County, the people who elected Hans Hunt to the house support his response totally.

I haven't talked to anyone from here that disagrees with him.

Look what's happening in Colorado now. Its because people moved there to get away from California only to turn Colorado into little California.

I don't want a wishy washy Representative I wont someone like Hunt. Apparenlty I'm not the only one in this county, the county that elected him.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 16, 2013, 12:54 AM   #42
jmortimer

How could any sane person disagree with him or his actions? It is beyond me. I guess we have devolved to crazy lady pastors and hoplophobia in "real America." We are all so .....
Old February 16, 2013, 01:08 AM   #43
LockedBreech

Welcome to Wyoming...this is how WE roll!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
I just spent the evening at a Jr Rodeo Fund raiser. The conversation was about Hunt's response.

Contrary to what many here think, the people of Weston County, the people who elected Hans Hunt to the house support his response totally.

I haven't talked to anyone from here that disagrees with him.

Look what's happening in Colorado now. Its because people moved there to get away from California only to turn Colorado into little California.

I don't want a wishy washy Representative I wont someone like Hunt. Apparenlty I'm not the only one in this county, the county that elected him.
It's nice living in a no-b.s. state eh kraig?
Old February 16, 2013, 01:50 AM   #44
kraigwy

Quote:
It's nice living in a no-b.s. state eh kraig?
Type in "Free America" in a search engine and you get a picture of Wyoming.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 16, 2013, 02:11 AM   #45
okiewita40

I am with my fellow Okies on this one. Send all the liberals to the left coast of commiefornia. We don't want or need them in Oklahoma.

I like Hunt he says what he thinks. Just like I do.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:54 AM   #46
ClydeFrog

Awww, refreshing...

The WY elected official was blunt but the new citizen was a uptight nitwit in my humble opine, .
It sounds like the woman watched too many West Wing episodes, lol.

Her "outrage" reminds me of 2 obnoxious jerks(male/female couple who claimed to be active duty USMC Marines from NC) I encountered working a armed, uniformed security post in central Florida a few years ago.
These nitwits treated the front desk clerk like dirt, refused to follow the standard hotel check-in SOPs, then got hostile with me. The "Marines" berated me & exclaimed; "I don't know why you are armed?, We didn't allow this!, Who allows you to carry a loaded gun?!? etc"
I calmly explained to the young couple; I'm a US Armed Forces veteran, I'm licensed & certified by the state agency that covers private security and that I pay for my own weapon qualifications, training and related gear. I also said; You are not required to know or approve anything. I am only accountable to my employers, sworn law enforcement and/or the state regulatory agency.
I then told the stuck-up jerks to get the $&#* off the property or they'd be cited for trespass by the local sheriff's office. They left w/o incident.

Gun owners & armed professionals should be mature and polite but don't let people walk all over you or treat you like dirt.

Clyde
Old February 16, 2013, 05:12 AM   #47
MLeake

Could Hunt have been more diplomatic in his response? Sure.

Do I have a problem with the response he actually gave? Not at all.

I grew up in Maine as a kid. The changes in the culture there from the influx of nanny staters have been horrendous. What used to be a land of rugged individualists is now the highest taxed state in the US; where there used to be a rifle and/or shotgun in every truck rack, there are now legislators and newspaper staffs pushing for gun control.

We moved to Florida when I was a teenager. The state has been turning more and more into NY south. While it is still a gun-friendly state, the anti faction is growing. Taxes are also growing, but in weird way. (Homestead exemptions make things very interesting, and I'm surprised there have not been more suits brought by new homebuyers who have to pay much higher property taxes.)

I was stationed in Washington State in the mid-90s and again in the early 2000s. The changes wrought by the west coast hippy influx from California were noticeable in the short interval when I was away.

I am quite sick of seeing the places I lived being turned into anti-gun, nanny state "utopias" by people who mostly left the places they used to live because they couldn't afford to live there anymore due to taxes necessary to support a nanny state lifestyle.

I would hope my Missouri legislator would pen similar sentiments to the letter writer. I like the state the way I found it when I got there, and would strongly oppose any changes such as that woman wants.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:53 AM   #48
Bud Helms

I have to say that Medicine Bow's post did make me slightly embarrassed at my enthusiastic post in support of Rep. Hunt's response to the reverend. I think MedicineBow's point is well-taken.

I may agree with Hunt's position on the proposed legislation, but there is something to be said for his rudeness.

Thanks for speaking up, MedicineBow.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:42 AM   #49
Nathan

I used to live in MT, and I totally get Mr Hunt's point. States like MT and WY have struck a balance which is very bill of rights friendly.

If these foreign invaders(by private property purchase) don't like the culture, they should think about why they moved there. The culture is one of the most important things to keeping WY as WY.

So, love it or go elsewhere. BTW, I hope I speak for all Ohioans when I say DON'T COME HERE!
Old February 16, 2013, 09:01 AM   #50
Bud Helms

Yes, that is the way I feel about it too.

The problem in this case is civil discourse. Mr. Hunt may have let his true feelings get in front of his need (as a public figure) for civility in public. I don't consider this a political correctness requirement. One can make their point civilly.