The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
TMann

Woo-hoo! Just got my first shotgun...

Just picked up a Remington 870 Wingmaster this afternoon. I've been shooting handguns for several years, but this is my first shotgun. I bought it used from a local gun shop and I'm heading off to the range (indoor) after dinner. It came with a 20" barrel with a fixed choke with rifle sights. The left side of the gun is marked "Remington 870 Magnum", while the right side is marked "Wingmaster Deer." Some lousy photos are attached below; I'll take some better ones in the next few days.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I assume that this gun has a cylinder choke? There are no specific choke descriptions marked on the barrel.
2. Given the indeterminate choke on this barrel, can I shot slugs from this barrel? Would it matter if they're rifled slugs or non-rifled slugs?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

TMann

Old December 14, 2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Hog Hunter

congrats on the purchase. I have a 870 express and have shot rifled slugs out of it with no problem. I have noticed out past fifty yards they start to scatter though, also a smooth bore by the way. Not much of a slug gun guy but I know mine is one hek of a dove and duck gun.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
zippy13

Congratulations!
I'm guessing it's choke-less. Is it a smooth bore or a rifled bore? If rifled, then it's intended for sabots, otherwise regular slugs will work fine.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Ludarue

Very nice 870 sir. It sounds like to me you have a smooth bore barrel. Take it off when you get the chance to double check. In which case you would use rifled slugs.
Old December 17, 2010, 03:52 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

I believe you CANNOT fire slugs of any kind through chokes that constrict the barrel past a certain point. Determine what you have before firing slugs. Nice looking weapon.
Old December 17, 2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Doyle

Quote:
I believe you CANNOT fire slugs of any kind through chokes that constrict the barrel past a certain point. Determine what you have before firing slugs. Nice looking weapon
That will NOT be a problem for this shotgun. It was made specifically to shoot slugs. What you are thinking about is shooting through a very tight super-full or turkey choke. Not the case here.
Old December 17, 2010, 09:15 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

Doyle is right, this barrel was made for shooting just slugs of any type sabot/rifled.
Old December 17, 2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Crb03

Nice 870.
Old December 17, 2010, 05:46 PM   #9
markj

Remove the barrel and look down it, do you see rifling? if so use sabots.