The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1
jakec2789

Remington 1100

If anyone is in florida, and has one of these for sale i would be greatly interested. i cannot find one in good shape anywhere.

or is there something comparable to it? i personally have shot one for years, but my father reclaimed it when i moved to florida lol. any suggestions on where as to get one?
Old November 19, 2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Technosavant

I'm surprised you're having a hard time finding one. The 1100 is one of the most plentiful and popular autoloading shotguns ever. You can try calling around to gun shops nearby and see if they have one, or hunt one up online and have it shipped to your FFL.

As far as "something comparable" to it, possibly one of the long running competitors is the Browning (current model is called the Silver). Also a good gun- it works a bit differently from the 1100 though.

Still, I just can't imagine having a hard time finding an 1100. Maybe a hard time finding one in a given price range if you're looking for a specific model used, but there's gotta be one somewhere.
Old November 19, 2009, 10:59 PM   #3
jakec2789

well, i'm looking in the under 500 range, and cannot find one that doesnt have pitting on the barrell or reciever. and/or horrible stock conditions. i just want a well cared for shotgun. and i have not shot anything that shoots quite like an 1100
Old November 20, 2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Technosavant

Ah, yeah, then you may have to look a bit. Remington has been raising the price of the 1100 lately, and that's kept used values high.

Keep an eye out on Gunbroker and the like. Maybe cruise some pawn shops too.
Old November 20, 2009, 12:48 PM   #5
ocharry

hi guys ,,hey you may check in the pawn shops around your area,,guy i work with found one in a pawn shop a couple of years ago that was like new for $325 out the door,,,,he looked for awhile and stumbled into that one,,,very nice gun he got

prices may be different in Florida,,,,i just saw an 1187 in game masters yesterday for $375,,that was in Quincy, Illinois,, it was in nice shape too

i think they are out there and for a good price if you are looking and don't get in a hurry to find one,,,just need to be ready when you do

my .02,, YMMV

ocharry
Old November 20, 2009, 05:04 PM   #6
jakec2789

oh i'm in no hurry to find one... that is for sure. i have been looking for going on a year now. finally just starting to get frustrated with the aspect of when i see one on a shelf somewhere something is wrong with it.
Old November 21, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7
bcarver

rem 11-87

Remington 11-87 is something you may want to look at also.
Try gunbroker
Old November 21, 2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Waterengineer

You didn't say used or new and you didn't state a purpose.

I just did a detailed search on Gunbroker for FL.

It came up with about 12-14 guns.

Two used ones are particularly nice: Titusville and Hollywood, $350 and $450, respectively.

The one in Titusville may have a choke that is a little open for your needs.

The internet is your friend.

Last edited by Waterengineer; November 23, 2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:18 PM   #9
hometheaterman

Quote:
Ah, yeah, then you may have to look a bit. Remington has been raising the price of the 1100 lately, and that's kept used values high.

Keep an eye out on Gunbroker and the like. Maybe cruise some pawn shops too.
He said he was willing to spend $500. The Remington 1100 is one of the few Remingtons I actually like but I'd not spend more than $500 for one. Now I've seen them for more than that however, I've also seen them for quite a bit less. I saw on a local message board a 3" magnum one for $400 although it does have a Hastings 30" wad lock barrel not the original one. I saw another one in a local add recently for $375 that was a magnum edition. I'm not sure what shape the one for $375 was in but the one for $400 looked to be in decent shape just scratched and worn from hunting.

I got one a while back for $450 and the thing looks brand new inside and out. Had like 2 tiny little scratches on it and that was it. By tiny I mean one probably about 1/4" and one problem 1" but light. Both I've really had to look for to find. Even knowing where they are I still have to search to find them. Seller pointed them out when I got it which is the only reason I saw them.

I'm a fan of the Magnum ones so if I look at them it's usually those but the 2 3/4" ones shouldn't be much if any more. I see the 2 3/4" ones often but not the Magnum ones. I've also got several friends that want a magnum one some who I know would pay me more than I paid for mine.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:10 PM   #10
oneounceload

Jake - one thing to consider - guns in FL are subjected to a LOT of humidity, rain, etc......which, if the shooter didn't do his part, will lead to rust, pitting, etc. as you have found. Look more towards the interior parts of the state, Orlando, Ocala, Gainesville......or look to get a gun from somewhere a little more arid.

Mine, (a 28, is not for sale), gets wiped it down a lot to keep it running good and eliminate those problems you mentioned. The local gun shops around here are not exactly on the cheaper end of the average prices, unfortunately
Old November 26, 2009, 01:02 PM   #11
tandom

rem 1100

Many of the Rem model 1100 were mfg, over a million, but very few in mint cond. are being sold, most people keep them. In my opinion if you find one, expect to pay at least 500. MY son and brother both have older ones and they would never sell.