The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 7, 2009, 09:03 PM   #1
bamafan4life

forend tip?

im turning a turk mauser stock that sumbody already bubbafied that looked like crap into a sporter. and im ganna do it the right way. im glass bedding the stock free floating the barrel, turning the semi pistol grip into full and adding a grip cap. maybe hand checker the stock (another discussion) and adding a forend tip. this will be my first forend tip and checkering. i get the concept i beleave correct me if im wrong. get what ever your going to use as the tip. drill a hole dead center. drill a hold dead center of the end of ur stock. epoxy them together and rasp (file) the tip to where it is even with the rest of the stock. im just wondering what im going to use for the tip. i have walnut trees and i have some that has been cured i was planning on using for a knife handle. so i was thinking of putting this on the stock and staining the stock red oak. and staining the tip black with used motor oil. then sealing the stock in polaurathine. and putting some tungs oil over that. does this sound like im on the right track to yall?
Old April 7, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
musher

motor oil?

use some ebony stain.

if you have a hardwood supplier around, they often have bins full of small pieces for pretty reasonable prices. You could latch onto a little piece of rosewood or ebony for not too much money.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
bamafan4life

yep used motor oil is a good makeshift stain prettiest gun ive everheld was a 1903 sporter whichs stock had been stained with used motor oil. i did not know they made ebony stain. ill check at ace hardware tommarrow.
Old April 8, 2009, 11:16 AM   #4
musher

Well I'll be darned. Never would have occurred to me to use it for that.

I would have worried about the performance of other coatings over the "stain"

Can't beat the price (if you don't count the cost of driving 3000 miles to make the stuff).
Old April 8, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
PetahW

A hobby woodshop, like at some shopping malls, is a good bet for small exotic wood scraps/chunks.

Some of those woodworking stores carry some very colorful wood, indeed.

You might want to consider making the grip cap and the forend tip from the same material, for a more pleasing style/harmony.

I have a 2"x2" stick of black Ebony that started off 24" long when I bought it for $15 about 20 years ago, and kept cutting off chunks for tips and caps.

Old April 11, 2009, 06:53 PM   #6
HiBC

As form often follows function,consider the original intent of the forend cap was to seal off the end grain to prevent moisture from wicking into the forend.
I cannot recall the name of the outfit,but there is a dealer in knife making supplies that sells small blocks of exotic woods and also micarta and impregnated woods.

Not intending to criticize your motoroil idea,but please consider traditional oil finishes harden .I think the motor oil will not,and will just oil soak the wood.

I have used leather die on wood,even once used india ink to stain a very plain stock,then sanded it to leave the pores black.It looked pretty good.But,India ink is not waterproof.

Anyway,good luck!!!
Old April 15, 2009, 08:46 AM   #7
apr1775

I like WoodCraft stores for stuff like that. Check their website for store locations; they also have internet sales. Should be something like woodcraft.com. The stores are generally staffed with woodworking hobbyist.

I'd stay away from motor oil as oils made for metal surfaces can often break down wood fibers.