The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2000, 10:31 PM   #1
hoosierboy

I just finished my class tonight and read my lyman reloading guide cover to cover. We loaded 9MM bullets and at least I have a feel for doing this.

I ordered a lee turret press with the scale, autodisk powder measure, primer pocket cleaner, cutter and lock stud, chamfer tool. I also got a ram priming tool and a 9mm carbide die set.

I am mostly going to do .32acp .380 acp 9mm .40 s&w 38 special and .45 acp.

I know I will probably need a tumbler, media and probably a bullet puller, plus more dies.

I can get 9mm brass for a penny a piece and the local shop sells powder and primers to save on the hazmat shipping. Plus bullets are going to be easy to get at the local store.

My Question is what else do I need to get??? Or what would you suggest I buy??

------------------
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"

http://hometown.aol.com//jsax13/web.html
Member NRA, GOA, JPFO, SAF, and CCRKBA.
Old October 5, 2000, 11:21 PM   #2
OkieGentleman

Go to the local office supply and buy yourself a large hard bound office ledger. You can enter all of the different information on the loads you make up with dates. Also if you need to make your self a note you can write it in your ledger and find it later. This will only cost you a couple of bucks but by being hard bound it will stand on the shelf with the rest of your manuals and you will not lose it so easily. If you make up some loads and they are either bad or good you can note that with the loading data you entered in the ledger. Much Much better than writing notes on slips of paper the keep getting lost.

Just my two cents worth from past experience.
Old October 6, 2000, 12:25 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

IMHO, a tumbler is actually the last thing that you need, as in last on the list.

I've been reloading for almost 25 years, and have yet to use a tumbler.

I don't get all hot over bright shiny brass.

I simply throw my brass in a bucket, cover with hot water, throw in a couple of squirts of Lysol, and agitate for a minute or two.

Then I rinse thoroughly, and dump the brass on a bedsheet behind the furnace.

By the time I'm ready to reload it, it's dry.

While a tumbler is a nice OPTIONAL product, I really feel that the manufacturers and magazines have sold a bill of goods to reloaders by making it seem that a tumbler is an absolute necessity for all reloaders.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old October 6, 2000, 12:42 AM   #4
Sisco

Order the adjustable powder charge bar and forget about using the autodisks. You'll get more precise measurment and it's easier to change the settings. The Lyman 47th is a great book, Modern Reloading by Lee is good to have around too. While you're at it go ahead and get the bullet puller, you'll need it sooner than later. I believe a dial caliper is a must have, hard to tell overall length without one. You do have a Midway USA catalog don't you? Best place I've found for loading stuff!
Old October 6, 2000, 03:54 AM   #5
Hal

A small el cheapo level to set up the scale and a set of weights to verify the scale are about the only things I can think of. Like Mike, I went a number of years without a tumbler before I finally broke down and bought one. They aren't a necessity, but after using it for a few months, they sure are nice to have.
Old October 6, 2000, 08:59 AM   #6
bedlamite

I have to disagree with SK, I have the adjustable charge bar for my turret press, and it will not throw consistent charges, especially when throwing small charges. However, I agree with the caliper, you can get one for $20 and it's worth it. You should also get at least two loading manuals, one from your favorite powder company and one from your favorite bullet company.

As has been said before, the tumbler is nice but not necessary. If you use some other method to clean your brass, make sure you do not use anything with ammonia, it can weaken the brass.

Another good idea that is often overlooked is a fire extinguisher.

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old October 6, 2000, 09:10 AM   #7
MADISON

AUTO DISK POWDER MEASURE:
I have 9 Lee Auto Disk powder measures, ONE, pre-set FOR each caliber I reload.
Old October 6, 2000, 10:39 AM   #8
hoosierboy

Thanks for the info I do have a caliper and will get the ledger book today. By the way I ordered my press from www.fmreloading.com and I do have a midway catalog. I cant wait to get started thanks alot and I will be posting more questions in the future!

------------------
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"

http://hometown.aol.com//jsax13/web.html
Member NRA, GOA, JPFO, SAF, and CCRKBA.
Old October 6, 2000, 12:47 PM   #9
posigian

Im just getting started also, but instead of use an office ledger to keep track of my load information I plan to make a spread sheet using Excel to track all of it. This way I can add notations to each entry and use the "find" feature to quickly look for certain info I want.

So if you are even a bit familiar with Excell you might want to concider using it.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA
Old October 7, 2000, 06:35 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

Safety glasses.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old October 7, 2000, 08:03 AM   #11
rr41mag

a set of verneers check midway they have a pretty good set
Old October 7, 2000, 09:14 AM   #12
OkieGentleman

Excel is ok, but you can't sit in your favorite chair have a beer and flip thru the pages.
Old October 7, 2000, 09:20 AM   #13
OkieGentleman

By the way see if you can lay your hands on some postal stickers. The kind used in a postage meter, heavy paper and sticks to anything. You can use them to stick to you boxes or bags for labeling. Not cheap but a package lasts a long time and they do not come off like some of the other lables.
Old October 7, 2000, 04:37 PM   #14
Sisco

bedlamite - was the consistancy problem with a particualar powder? I've used the charge bar with several different powders, AA #5 to Bullseye. I normally check powder weight every 10th round and have found it to be very consistant.