The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 19, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Santawentcrazy

SP101 - Saving Money

Hello! I just recently got my permit to carry concealed, and I pretty much have my heart set on a Ruger SP101, 3 inch in 357. I have been searching high and low for the best price online or in my area (North Dakota). Money is tight, as always. While I have found them online for as low as 480ish (BudsGunshop), my local Scheels is selling one for $517. Compared to the other local prices, ranging from 550 to 600, this seems like the best option. In short, I am wondering if anyone has seen any better deals out there, or knows of any ways to save money such as in store financing rewards or other similar tactics.
Old November 19, 2013, 02:55 PM   #2
gotthegoods

$500-ish is a good price point for a 3" SP.

As a rule you can't "save" money when you finance; even at zero percent you are spending the same amount.

Some sellers do offer extended layaway with a percentage down, but again - same price.
Old November 19, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Tortuga12

When looking at those online prices, be sure to check on:

1. Shipping costs

2. FFL transfer fee costs

In my experience, those will generally wipeout any savings you might otherwise see.
Old November 19, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Santawentcrazy

I should have been more accurate in my description, what I meant was the bonuses you get when purchasing on a store credit card, such as the $ off your first purchase, or $ off a purchase of so many dollars. As it is, I am leaning on either the new SP101 or a Used Taurus 605 for around the $350 mark.
Old November 19, 2013, 03:03 PM   #5
gotthegoods

Ah, the store credit card with purchase discounts...as long as you pay off in 30 days, go for it. If you're going to carry that balance chances are a traditional credit card will have a lower rate and some kind of bonus plan (miles, reward points, etc.)
Old November 19, 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
hulley

My humble opinion is that the few extra dollars you pay buying local will be meaningless over the long haul. The SP101 is a great wheel gun, I carry a 2.25" daily and I plan on keeping this one for a very long time. In my area, used clean SP101s sell for almost "new" prices.
Old November 19, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Santawentcrazy

Thank you for the prompt responses! While I am heavily leaning toward purchasing locally, and a SP101 at that, the Taurus 605 is somewhat appealing as I could buy the gun and a good holster and still have money left to shoot with. I know the 605 is no SP101, but for a first conceal carry revolver, and on a budget, is it a semi acceptable substitute?
Old November 19, 2013, 04:23 PM   #8
JNad

I don't own a Taurus revolver, but I do know that SOME of them do not feature changeable front sights. The SP101 has a pinned-in-ramp that can be replaced. That may not be a feature with a $130ish value, but it is nice. Bright paint can help, but it still doesn't shine like a tritium sight up front.

Just one more thing to consider (if you haven't already).
Old November 19, 2013, 04:38 PM   #9
hulley

Quote:
I don't own a Taurus revolver, but I do know that SOME of them do not feature changeable front sights. The SP101 has a pinned-in-ramp that can be replaced. That may not be a feature with a $130ish value, but it is nice. Bright paint can help, but it still doesn't shine like a tritium sight up front.
I recently install a front night sight on my SP101, made a huge difference. I can pick up the front sight much quicker in daytime as opposed to the all black front sight.
Old November 19, 2013, 05:46 PM   #10
FoghornLeghorn

Definitely hold out for the superior SP101. Besides, resale is much better than taurus.

I paid $499 new for my DA only SP101 2 1/4 inch barrel. I also paid $42.41 in tax.

Had I bought online, (for me, that's usually gunbroker), I would probably pay around $25 shipping and $25 for my local ffl.

If I were you, I'd just go ahead and pull the trigger (so to speak) on the Ruger and have something that will last you a lifetime and that others will covet. Ten years from now you won't see the difference in pocket change (between the Ruger and taurus), but you'll still have the Ruger.

But that's just me.
Old November 19, 2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

My 2.25" SP101 is regularly carried in an ankle rig.

Personally I would not go Tauras if there was a RUGER available.

Also the replaceable front sight is a good option. My 2.25" has that done, while the 3" remains stock.

I pack +P .38 Gold Dots, the version made for short barrels.

Yes, I have shot a cylinder full of .357loads just to do it, but it is a handful..

I also recommend changing out the grip for the Hogue after market grips! Makes a whale of a difference in shoot ability.

Then a set of speed springs are good. You may not want to go to the lighter spring on the hammer. Test it to make sure it fires reliably with YOUR ammo.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old November 19, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

The cheapest I've been able to find one in my area is $549.99. It's on my "wish list" but for now I'm waiting myself . . . I'm hoping that I'll run across a good used one, plus the fact I just bought a Smith pre 15 and a pre 10. As pointed out, you might find it at a "cheaper" price online but you still have to figure in the FFL transfer and the shipping so you really aren't any further ahead IMHO. I try to buy "loI thinkcal" so if there is a problem, you have someone to talk to about it. I have a number of Rugers though - love 'em all and have never had a problem.

I think the SP101 looks like an ideal "carry" - very similar in size to a J frame but rugged and should last you your lifetime and perhaps that of your kid and grandkid. A 3" barrel is a nice size. I was looking at a Smith & Wesson 60 and compared the SP101 to it. I loved the Sp101 and how it felt and it would be my first choice.

Good luck in your search - you'll find one at the right price. Put some feelers out in your area for a used one as well - you never know what you'll run across.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 19, 2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Dan-O

I agree with the others that $500ish is a pretty decent price for a new SP101. I own a few Rugers and a few Tauri. I think for your first revo a Ruger is a better option.

Also agree with the others that the ability to change the front sight on the SP101 to a tritium or fiber optic one is a big bonus.
Old November 19, 2013, 06:56 PM   #14
.38Catt

I would try to establish a decent relationship with the local dealer. That could pay for itself over and over. If you get the "vibe" that the retailer does not respect that you want to go local, then punt and go on-line. Just my opinion.

.38Catt
Old November 19, 2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Santawentcrazy

Thank you for all the replies. I think was romanced by the idea of a good deal, but I will hold out for the SP101. In the long run, the option to change the front sight may be a good thing, not to mention holster selection. While my preference would be to buy from a local shop off the Gander Mountain - Scheels circuit, their prices are far above what I have been able to find at the larger stores. I will most likely end up giving in and purchasing from Scheels. With the FFL fees and taxes, nothing I find online beats a new revolver I can get acquainted with before dropping the $517+Tax.
Old November 19, 2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Kirby8604

Price around here (Minnesota) is $520 at the low end. I got mine for just under 500 with a military discount offered by a local shop. While Buds lists at 488, they are just about always out of stock, and you have to add ffl fees. I'd call anything 550 and under fair.
Old November 20, 2013, 10:13 AM   #17
Colt46

Agreed on not fixating on lowest possible price

You are going to pass it on down to your grandkids. Shaving a few extra bucks off the front end is not a huge concern to me.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:25 AM   #18
shortwave

A few thoughts:

Is your LGS possibly having a 'black Friday' sale or some other sort of holiday special coming up?

Have you considered buying used?

If so, watch not only your LGS's but pawn shops as well as your local newspaper. With the holidays coming up there are occasional deals to be had as people often sell firearms to fund Christmas.
Old November 20, 2013, 02:37 PM   #19
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Have you considered buying used?
Locally (Oklahoma), used SP101s are going for the same as new.

Testimony to their quality?

Then again, I saw this for sale on one of our local gun boards:

Quote:
This is unopened new in box ipad mini 64 gig with LTE. Verizon but you can put any carrier's nano SIM card in it and it will work. I ordered this from Apple and it will be arriving today. I had found one at the store while waiting on the order so don't need this one. I will return it to the store tomorrow just thought I'd give someone on the forum a chance to grab it since they are a bit scarce. It cost $729 plus tax, $800 firm in the Moore/OKC area. No trades.
I don't know what the appeal is, but he's asking more than if someone bought it new.

Sellers. I get tired of seeing things like, "Tikka rifle with cheap scope. I've got $400 invested. I'd like to get that out of it."

Yeah, I'd like to get my money back on a lot of things I've bought. I've got an old pickup truck I bought new in 1997. I paid $15,000 for it. I'd like to get that out of it.
Old November 20, 2013, 03:13 PM   #20
Santawentcrazy

I have been keeping my eyes open for a used SP101, I have only seen one and it was going for next to new pricing, somewhere near $490. It seems that people don't really want to get rid of the things, exactly why I want one! As far as Black Friday sales, I have a Gander Mountain, a Scheels and a Cabellas but no good savings on anything close to an SP101, not as far as I can tell. I'm trying to keep an open perspective as far as alternative firearms, as far as smallish .357's go.
Old November 20, 2013, 03:40 PM   #21
shortwave

Quote:
I'm trying to keep an open perspective as far as alternative firearms, as far as smallish .357's go.
Have you checked the market out for the S&W model 66?
Old November 20, 2013, 05:03 PM   #22
Santawentcrazy

The S&W 66 is not something I have seen in my area. Aside from rarity, the price of a used 66 would be higher than a new SP101, would it not? Money is a dominating factor for me and I want to be carrying withing a month or so.
Old November 20, 2013, 06:11 PM   #23
shortwave

Quote:
the price of a used 66 would be higher than a new SP101, would it not
Possibly. I have not priced them in awhile.

One more question, have you considered something in .38 or does it have to be .357? And would you consider DAO?

Guess that's two questions.
Old November 20, 2013, 07:33 PM   #24
Darmog

I know you said you were looking for a 3" SP101, but if you have any interest in the 2 1/4" version, here's one for $459 w/free shipping.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GUN-321
Old November 20, 2013, 08:23 PM   #25
baddarryl

As far as the local/non local debate, I only buy online for 2 reasons: a. If I can't find what I am looking for locally (which is rare). b. Used

Otherwise I would rather support local business and the cost is usually about the same after add shipping and FFL fees.

Tags
revolver , ruger , sales , save money , sp101