The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 01:26 AM   #1
dakota.potts

Is my range not normal?

So I really love my range but I get the feeling from other posts here that it's atypical.

There are range safety operators (or at least staff that keep an eye on the range) but there's no one standing at a given post that we can go to, at least that I know of. There are no ceasefires, no 1 bullet per second rule, and they allow suppressors, machine guns, and short barreled rifles. I've seen guys there firing Colt Commandos, an FN F2000, and last time there was a person there with an 40's era Thompson fully automatic. I know a lot of ranges force you to slow down but some people there fire as fast as they like. I've also seen some muzzle loaders but I'm not sure if that's a normal thing.

Each individual range is sectioned off by a berm and you set up the targets. Get some plywood, check out a staple gun, and staple it up yourself. They have very strict rules (stay behind the painted red line if you're not the one firing or reloading and things of that nature) that they do enforce but they seem to count on people being smart and safe rather than having someone watching each lane.

Then again, there are cameras so for all I know they're just watching the range inside instead of being right behind you.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
drail

Every range is completely different. As long as everybody observes safety rules it should not matter what they are shooting. Just how they are shooting it.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:01 AM   #3
Ambishot

If it is a private range, they may be more relaxed with members using their facilities than non-members.

If it is a public range, then yes, I'd say that you are in a unique situation.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
g.willikers

You are very lucky to have a range like this.
There used to be one near us very much like it.
But some fools got sloppy and ruined it.
Now the restrictions prohibit most of what was previously allowed.
So, don't let anyone screw it up for you.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Dave P

"There are range safety operators (or at least staff that keep an eye on the range) but there's no one standing at a given post that we can go to, at least that I know of. There are no ceasefires, no 1 bullet per second rule, and they allow suppressors, machine guns, and short barreled rifles. I've seen guys there firing Colt Commandos, an FN F2000, and last time there was a person there with an 40's era Thompson fully automatic. I know a lot of ranges force you to slow down but some people there fire as fast as they like. I've also seen some muzzle loaders but I'm not sure if that's a normal thing. "

Does all this make you feel less safe? Are you complaining?
Old March 10, 2013, 10:31 AM   #6
buckhorn_cortez

The gun club I belong to has no range officers or staff. The first person at a range is the designated range officer until they leave. At that point, the range responsibility is turned over to whomever is there and agrees to be the range officer.

Also, you can shoot anything except 50BMG (damages the berms), or fully automatic weapons.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
weblance

The range I am a member of only has a one shot every 3 seconds rule. Only paper targets also. No range officer.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Danxyz53

The range I belong to is private ($300/yr for family membership). There are no safety officers on duty, each member is responsible for safety when shooting alone. With multiple shooters on one of the 3 ranges, one person wears an orange vest, is the designated safety officer and calls the range hot or cold. The range has all the usual rules: cold range = actions open, no handling guns, mags or ammo.

Drawing from a holster or moving before shooting is allowed on only 1 range that requires a 4 hour course above and beyond required general memberships safety course. Semi-auto fire is allowed as rapidly as you can pull the trigger on all ranges.

.50 cal and full auto are by special permission, although the back range which isn't open to general membership is used by local SWAT teams and they use full auto frequently.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Nathan

Gun ranges are their own worst enemy. They often have a range officer or some other do gooder making rules up as the go. Rules like:
-no pistols on the rifle range. So, where do I sight in my 45 Colt at 50 yards? The pistol bay is 15 yards deep!

- no chronographs...a bullet could hit it and bounce back at shooters!

- no lead bullets - they are either hard on the back stop or bad for air quality.

- no shooting more the 3 shots in a row...how do I work on defense techniques?

- no 50 cal rifles - huh??

So, if your range has avoided stupid rules, be thankful and work to keep it that way.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:12 PM   #10
kutz

Have my own range,my rules.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Tom68

Kutz, that's my dream. someday...

in the meantime, Alabama has public ranges operated by the fish and game service. you have to possess a valid hunting license to use them, as they are funded through the licensing fees. of the three that I have used, they are unattended, have covered shooting areas, wooden benches on concrete pads, and they are divided by berms for different distances. the latter varies somewhat...the one nearest my home has only two sections, one with a 25 and a 50 yard berm, and the other with a 100 yard berm.

The signs are posted with the rules on them, and fortunately I very seldom see anyone not following them closely. The rules are not overly restrictive: nothing to prohibit .50 cal, shoot as fast as you like, lead is ok. most everyone follows the golden rule, and only once have I felt compelled to correct someone's behavior (an old dude went downrange without clearing it with me first, and I was lining up for my next shot).

I've learned long ago to get my dialing-in a few months prior to deer season, because during the month prior you'll have to wait for some time to get a bench. I prefer to take a day off work and go in the mornings.... I normally only see retired folks, and they are almost always pleasant to be around.

I do normally try to avoid weekends, especially in the afternoons: not trying to be judgmental, but I just don't feel able to concentrate when three or more twenty-somethings are rapid firing their AKSs and hoot-n-hollering. Not that they are inherently unsafe....but it's a strange mix of company when I'm setting up a chronograph and a spotting scope. but, it takes all kinds
Old March 10, 2013, 03:36 PM   #12
bikerbill

Sounds like heaven ... at my range, your ability to do more than just aim your gun at a target is seriously restricted, with rangemasters on hand to enforce the law ... I don't want to go crazy, but I'd like to try controlling my gun while firing four or five fast shots at a target (like I might have to do, oh, say, if I was being attacked). I know safety is the most important thing; perhaps I just need to find a more rural range where life is a bit more relaxed.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Live45

The only range available to me is always staffed with about 4 range officers. They are, IMHO rather overzealous. I recently took my wife with me for her to try out my new Springfield .45 XD. She's aiming at the target and I'm standing behind her talking into her ear giving instructions when the RO comes up and tells us that if we want to talk the gun must be unloaded and placed on the table. Come on, give me a break. I'm all for safety but this was ridiculous. My wife got embarrassed and said she didn't want to shoot anymore and we left. This after paying $15 each for about 30 mins of shooting. You folks that live in the country and can shoot on your own property don't know how good you have it!!!
Old March 10, 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
breakingcontact

I have some great ranges.

Unfortunately sometime range officers on some ranges do get a bit overzealous but I guess it's kind of like the police, see enough dumb stuff and you get jaded/jumpy.

I used to work on machine gun ranges in the military and never had any issues, but those were "maximum control" situations. I managed to do my job without being a jerk though too. It's not good to flex your ego on a gun range because then you make the person with the gun nervous. Nervous plus gun handling can go poorly.

Be nice and firm.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Crankylove

My range has no safety/range officers, no weapon type or caliber restrictions, no NFA restrictions, no rules on how fast you can shoot, is open 24/7 365 days a year, and is free............a few hundred thousand acres of BLM land a short drive away has its advantages.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:46 PM   #16
dakota.potts

I don't feel unsafe at all. I love my range. It just seemed like others were less fortunate so I wanted to get a feel for what other ranges were like. It is a private range and we pay yearly. The price also includes NRA membership.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:10 AM   #17
Skans

Quote:
.....but some people there fire as fast as they like.
That's my kind of range!

Rapid fire, machine guns, suppressors - it's all good; I never say any reason to restrict any of this.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:25 PM   #18
bazookajeff89

@ Tom68

Don't worry, as a 20-Something myself I would feel very nervous if there were a few guys my age spraying lead downrange and hootin-and-Hollering

Generalization/Stereotype understandable and forgiven haha
Old March 11, 2013, 03:18 PM   #19
Gaerek

That's very similar to the range I go to. There's usually an RSO actually on the range watching, policing brass, and answering questions. Plus 3 or 4 other guys behind the counter on the other side of the glass keeping an eye on things. They limit by round size, (no rifle caliber, no shotgun ammo, and no handgun ammo .41 Mag and above, and no steel core ammo). But they have no restrictions beyond that on what you shoot. Heck, they even have a pre-86, NFA Uzi for rent. I haven't shot it yet, but was planning to, prior to the panic. Now I don't feel like wasting the ammo.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:26 PM   #20
zincwarrior

Quote:
That's very similar to the range I go to. There's usually an RSO actually on the range watching, policing brass, and answering questions. Plus 3 or 4 other guys behind the counter on the other side of the glass keeping an eye on things. They limit by round size, (no rifle caliber, no shotgun ammo, and no handgun ammo .41 Mag and above, and no steel core ammo). But they have no restrictions beyond that on what you shoot. Heck, they even have a pre-86, NFA Uzi for rent. I haven't shot it yet, but was planning to, prior to the panic. Now I don't feel like wasting the ammo.
After the Dallas fire at an indoor range, the steel core I could understand. Also rifle and big mag ammo limitations are probably to protect the backboards on the indoor range.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:43 PM   #21
Gaerek

Quote:
After the Dallas fire at an indoor range, the steel core I could understand. Also rifle and big mag ammo limitations are probably to protect the backboards on the indoor range.
Yep, their rules specifically state the steel core ammo is a fire hazard, and the limitation on caliber is to preserve their backstop (and prevent shoot through).

On a side note, I saw a guy there last week shooting, and every round was sparking off the floor. As I was leaving, I mentioned it to one of the guys behind the counter. He mentioned something about, "He said it wasn't Russian ammo." Then grabbed eyes, ears and a magnet. Sure enough, steel ammo, and they kicked the guy out. He was mad, and kept insisting his ammo wasn't steel core. But the round hanging off the end of the magnet, by the bullet, kinda proved him wrong. He said he was never coming back and he'd tell his friends not to go there. The reply was priceless:

"Don't let the door hit ya, where the Good Lord split ya!"

For the record, this range is almost always packed...one guy and his friends won't make a lick of difference.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:53 PM   #22
zincwarrior

Well in his defense, when I heard about this issue, the only thing I heard was Tula, and that the boxes don't say.

But yes, I was at an indoor range, setting up IDPA targets when smoke started coming through the side. A round had caught up some stuff on fire on the adjacent range. OK...

The one that really got me was a fire at an outdoor range in drought ridden central Texas. It started from a spark and spread about 8 feet in about 10 seconds right up to the shooting benches. WO! Everyone ran for it. A few went over the chain link fence that separated us from the parking lot. Yowsa.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:01 PM   #23
Gaerek

Quote:
Well in his defense, when I heard about this issue, the only thing I heard was Tula, and that the boxes don't say.
In defense of the range, they actually specifically mention Tula. I should have specified. When being led out, even after the magnet test, he was insisting the round wasn't steel. It wasn't the excuse of, "Hey man, I'm sorry, I didn't know." It was, "That's not steel ammo!" while looking at a round of his ammo dangling from a magnet by the pointy end.

If it was an honest mistake, they wouldn't have kicked him out. It was the fact that he was lying and being a d-bag about it.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:09 PM   #24
David White

Is my range not normal?

The range I use (currently) has no RO and you can pretty much shoot what you want.
Last year they ruled that you could not rapid fire any weapon. I didn't know that at the time and I was shooting multiple rounds on a B27 target, rapidly.
The guy next to me was throwing the stink eye until I finally asked if he had something he wanted to say to me.
He admonished my rapid fire and threatened to report my behavior. To whom I have no clue as there are no RO's to be found.
I told him that if one cannot "rapid fire", how does one simulate a defensive scenario? He had no answer for that and I told him to go ahead and report me. I continued with what I was doing.
This range is outdoors. It has ZERO staff on hand. It has ZERO safety precautions. Members "police" themselves, period.
It's also way out in the sticks and I will add that bad things feel like they could happen at any time, ( injury, assault, theft, vandalism). It does not give one a feeling of safety and serenity! I've seen drinking at the firing line and all manner of horse play!

So, on one hand, you do pretty much what you please. On the other hand, if trouble breaks out, you are DEEP in the sticks and you are on your own!
Old March 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #25
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:

In defense of the range, they actually specifically mention Tula. I should have specified. When being led out, even after the magnet test, he was insisting the round wasn't steel. It wasn't the excuse of, "Hey man, I'm sorry, I didn't know." It was, "That's not steel ammo!" while looking at a round of his ammo dangling from a magnet by the pointy end.

If it was an honest mistake, they wouldn't have kicked him out. It was the fact that he was lying and being a d-bag about it.
Yea thats kind of a giveaway.