The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 8, 2006, 05:48 PM   #1
reaper715

bushmaster pistol & foregrip nfa?

need help!
just bought a bushmaster 97s pistol and it is hard to handle. i want to put a vertical grip on it but i know i would have to register it with the atf/nfa.
but what would it be an sbr or an aow? it came from the factory with a 7 inch barrell.

also what forms or fee prices would i have to pay?

have done this once before. i bought a suppressor .22 cal but went through a dealer.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 9, 2006, 01:46 AM   #2
rkba_net

It would be an AOW.... you need 2 copies of ATF Form 1.... it costs $200 to make it but future transfers are $5.... NOTE: you will be considered the "manufacturer" and must engrave the receiver with your name, city and state....
Old June 9, 2006, 01:14 PM   #3
MisterPX

Keep in mind that you may enjoy it more with a stock, thus making it a SBR. You can have the VFG with the SBR, and the cost will be the same.
Old June 12, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Third_Rail

Quote:
and must engrave the receiver with your name, city and state....

Out of curiousity, where does it say that in the law? I've heard it before, but haven't found it.
Old June 12, 2006, 03:56 PM   #5
MisterPX

There are a few letters from ATF on that, some can be found at other gun sites.
Old June 12, 2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Out of curiousity, where does it say that in the law? I've heard it before, but haven't found it.
Quote:
ยง 479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or
placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured,
imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth
of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch;and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or
placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.
Old June 12, 2006, 08:34 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

For info on the vertical foregrip, see:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/041006-vert_grip.htm

Jim