The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2000, 02:41 PM   #1
moorerwc

Looking around at Mossbergs and Remingtons. I've become interested in the Marine Magnum and was wondering if it can take regular 870 barrels and what you would need to do? Do you need another magazine cap or spring, etc.?
Also does Remington make a "Police" model that has the same features as the Marine magnum but with a parkerized finish?
Thanks,
Chad
Old July 6, 2000, 03:58 PM   #2
PJR

The Marine Magnum will take any other 870 barrel. You would only need another mag cap and spring if you didn't want to use the extended mag. The extended mag and spring will fit with a different Remington barrel provided you can live with the two tone affect of a blued barrel and chromed gun.

I have seen Police models that are parkerized but without the extended magazine. I suppose you can buy an extended mag if you so choose. I have used both Remington and Choate extended mags and prefer Choate over the factory mag.

[This message has been edited by PJR (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old July 6, 2000, 04:00 PM   #3
PJR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJR:
The Marine Magnum will take any other 870 barrel. You would only need another mag cap and spring if you didn't want to use the extended mag. The extended mag and spring will fit with a different Remington barrel provided you can live with the two tone affect of a blued barrel and chromed gun.

I have seen Police models that are parkerized but without the extended magazine. I suppose you can buy an extended mag if you so choose. I have used both Remington and Choate extended mags and prefer Choate over the factory mag.
[/quote]

Old July 6, 2000, 04:03 PM   #4
PJR

Whoops. Sorry for the double post.
Old July 7, 2000, 07:52 AM   #5
Icopy

I own a Remington Police Magnum. And yes, it has all the same features as the marine magnum. But it's even better. The forearm on the Marine Magnum doesn't easily allow for a side saddle addition. Whereas, the Police model features a shorter forearm which allows for the side saddle. The Police models can be had with either walnut stocks or top folding stocks. The walnut stocks are a little stronger than the everyday Remington stocks. Also, some people say the Police models are better put together. Mine is parkarized, and has a chrome lined barrel and mag tube. I got mine with the folding stock, just for kicks. Your dealer should be able to order a Police model for you. Or check shotgun news. I saw them go for about 450. I bought mine NIB for 420. They are well worth the money. But make sure the receiver says Police Magnum on it. Some jokers are selling police models which are no more than used Remingtons that a cop once owned. So be careful.

[This message has been edited by Icopy (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old July 7, 2000, 08:00 AM   #6
JNewell

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Icopy: has a chrome lined barrel and mag tube[/quote]

Really?!? I didn't know that? Of couse, it's very difficult to get your hands on Remington LE sales literature. I traded a Mossy for an 870 PM earlier this year (a very good trade, btw) and haven't noticed a chrome lining in either the barrel or mag tube -- although I wasn't specifically looking for it. (It is something I'm somewhat focused on, with some rifle and pistol barrels.) A chrome lining would be a big plus.

I second your comments on the PM. I paid $380 minus a generous trade-in on the Mossy and thought I came out quite well. The stock on mine is one of the better pieces of walnut I've seen on a factory gun in a long time and one of very few I've ever seen where the grain is perfectly aligned through the grip.

Old July 7, 2000, 10:40 AM   #7
moorerwc

I'm assuming that the police models that y'all are recommending will take standard 870 barrels--i.e. they aren't like the Mossberg A1's that have receiver made to take the heavy contour barrel thus no standard 500 barrels allowed.

Still looking at Remington, but after seeing the barrel prices at Brownells I'm a little put off.(I'm a newbie looking for a longarm to do everything )

Thanks for all of y'all's very helpful info.
Chad
Old July 7, 2000, 01:07 PM   #8
Icopy

Jnewell --

On my 870P, the inside of the barrel and the mag tube, not the mag extension, is bright and shiny. I'm just assuming it is chrome lined. It sure looks like it. But then again, you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.
Old July 7, 2000, 07:49 PM   #9
JNewell

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, any 870 ever made will take any barrel ever made. Look around. I often have seen great bargains on barrels that had been sitting around too long. Also bear in mind that Brownells (a truly great business) is list price unless you're an FFL or C&R or 'smith, so there should be discounts available somewhere.

BTW, part of the reason I ditched my 500 was that it was one of the 8-shots that wouldn't take any other barrels.

I'll take a look into my 870 tomorrow -- I know what you mean about assumptions.
Old July 8, 2000, 11:01 PM   #10
B Shipley

I bought a police barrel and it does rust, so obviously it isn't chromed. Probably varies from year to year and I'd bet that they don't do it anymore.
Old July 16, 2000, 08:24 AM   #11
JNewell

I took a pretty careful look at my 1999-vintage PM barrel (18 1/2", IC choke, bead sight, phosphate finish) and I'm pretty sure Icopy was right. The "bloom" isn't the same as I'm used to seeing on AR barrels. It's very much more neatly done, but under a magnifying glass I can see where the chrome has run a little bit. (I think it's odd that this barrel has no choke markings. The ring for the mag tube also doesn't match the barrel finish and the brazing is quite visible -- not a problem, but a little odd.)
Old July 17, 2000, 08:03 AM   #12
Icopy

Jnewell --

You just described my barrel to a "T". The ring is a different color and the brazing is very visible. But mine has rifle sights on it. By the way, the choke marking is hard to see. It's on the left side near the chamber.